Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tension Pulley

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  alberta 7.3 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok well I did the water pump on my truck. But today when I popped the hood to check the coolant level. I always do that once everyday for a couple days after draining it all.

I noticed my belt was damaged. At first I thought it was because of me installing it and not getting it right on the pulleys. So I released the tension and checked the idle pulley and tension pulley. Well I noticed my tension pulley has a dent in it from what I don't know. But it also has some play in it. Bearings are probablly bad. I also noticed before removing the belt it walked one groove back on the tension pulley.

Now I can replace the tension pulley cost is 32.00 for just the pulley.

Or I can replace the whole assembly with two new pulleys. The grooved one and the smooth one for 65.00.

So what would you guys do. I also need a new belt too. Which is 41.00.

#2 ·
Go ahead and do it right, replace it all. IMO of course.

#7 ·
75.00 ships in 3 days to the local murrays discount autoparts near my house.

But I can get a different brand for 65.00 pick up same day ( they have it in stock). It has the same warranty as the goodyear one.

Hmmm I think I will save the 10 dollars.

#6 ·
yeah I would do it all. Like Jon said those springs go bad alot, so if the bearings are bad I bet the spring is right around the corner.

#9 ·
had the same problem, that darn spring shook like crazy! made all sorts of vibratings, and the 1/2 inch hole busted to boot, cheap crap aluminum! replace it all, make sure you get the belt on right, i know it sounds like your father, but i tore up a new belt when i replaced my spring , you gots to check all pulleys 10 times, cuz i swear i checked mine twice, nope! still was wrong, good luck!

#10 ·
Didn't I tell you to check the tensioner when I gave my recommendations of what to do while you're changing the WP? I usually terll folks to check the tensioner as they go bad often!! I too would replace the entire assembly!! Call Powerstrokeshop.com and see what they can get you the part for.
Did you replace the coolant with ELC?

NCH

#11 ·
No I replaced the coolant with the good old greenstuff.

Now I thought the problem was the water pump. The belt that was on the truck was damaged the same way. I thought it was from the water pump pulley walking. As when I checked the tension pulley. It was tight, but it happened with the new belt so I reinspected the tension pulley and that is the only pulley that was off alignment.

Now I have another problem. I need a new block heater cord, mine is damaged and not repairable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.