Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil leak ideas

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
I have noticed a oil spot under my truck in just the past few days... about 4-5" in diamiter when parked over night. I changed my oil today, and followed it... it's been dripping off the trans/bell housing, looks to be coming from the valley... did a search on turbo oil leaks, as it seems to come from that area... seems that HPOP and turbo o rings are the common problems... I'll find a mirror on a stick and look at it closer tomorrow, but it seems to follow the seam between the head and the block, and then run down the bell housing and oil filter housing... it's not really bad, but I hate to park my truck in a customers drive way and leave it's mark. They don't find it funny when I tell them it's just marking it territory...

Just looking for a little feedback... need to get a wicked wheel, guess pulling the whole turbo and doing some o rings, and cleaning up the CAC tube boots is gonna be a good project to plan on soon...

#2 ·
Yep, reach down and feel below the HPOP. there are two fittings and a bolt that tend to need new O rings. Then check the turbo pedestal and see if there is any oil there.

My bet is the HPOP... Reach your hand down there and feel the bottom of it.

#3 ·
I am having a similar problem but cannot locate teh hpop. The pictures make it look like its behind the ff but i havnt been able to find it.

#4 ·
It is right below the fuel bowl. You will see two lines coming out of it on the driver side that feed each head. Then there are a couple bolt heads you will see on it when you look down there.

Just stick your hand down there and feel the bottom of it. It is a tight fit.

#5 ·
Could also be your CCV leaking. I have seen heavy breathers saturate the boots and then leak into the valley and eventually down the back of the block making you think you have a rear main seal. Doing the CCV mod will stop this. The Hpop O rings are the most common source. PM me for any info on the CCV mod.

NCH

#6 ·
NCHORNET: Thanks for the CCV idea... it could be that, I do have alot of oil on my CAC boots... CCV mod is something I'd like to do, would alow me to replace the tube from the air filter to the turbo with a one pc. tube, and keep the intake cleaner...
Bottom line is that I need to just crawl under the hood and check things out... it's been cold here the past few weeks, and I just don't like bein' out there under the hood as much as I did a few years ago... and to be honest, the PSD intimidates me a little more than my ol' chevys did/do. It's my daily driver, so I don't like the thought of havin' it down at all...

#8 ·

#9 ·
Layson: Thanks for the pic, that will be very helpful in identifiying what I'm lookin' for! I'm assuming that's the HPOP?

#10 ·
It is right below the fuel bowl!

#11 ·
Alright, alright, I guess it's not gonna get any better, I might as well go and look RIGHT NOW.... got my handy-dandy mini-mag light, I'll see what I see.... be right back!

#15 ·
HPOP supplies high pressure oil to the injectors to fuel the motor..

CCV mod is a "crank case vent" mod so oil and vapors are vented to the atmosphere instead of the intake. They also get rid of the oily intercooler tubes. No more blowing boots...:hehe:

#13 ·
Im really sure it's not the HPOP... valley is bone dry, and rusty in the front... CAC boots are oily, but not enough to make the valley wet, and the back, passenger side of the turbo pedistel I can see seems dry above the seam between it and the block, and below it is oily. can't see the driver side, the intake side of the turbo is there... didn't spent enough time with a mirror to get a good look at it, but now I know I'm gonna be pullin' the turbo. Also saw some black soot exhaust marks on the back of the motor, pass side, guessing the up-pipe gaskets need done also, so that's 3 reasons to tear it apart....

1-Install Wicked Wheel
2-Pedistal O rings
3-Up pipe gaskets at turbo

Guess the CCV mod and cleaning the CAC tubes at the same time will round out a good project.

But first, I gotta get a new windshield in my ol' chevy so I can get an inspection sticker on it, so I have a 4X4 to drive off my hill for the time the PSD is down... I need 4x4 when it snows, nasty hill with out it... and it is acting like WINTER now...

So where do I get the o rings, and any other parts y'all know I need? One call, one CC #? Including the wicked wheel?

NCHORNET, does the CCV need a filtered vent, or can the hose just be popped off the intake tube and extended downward? I know there are more complex versions, but short term, is doing just that ok?

#14 ·
I think I got mine from dieselsite and the wicked wheel came with new orings. It sounds like you may need to by (2) sets of Orings for the pedestal to motor and pedestal to turbo. Just in case if the pedestal is leaking between the motor and the pedestal.

As far as the uppipes go. Jump down to the for sale section and buy that set of DI uppipes for 300 bucks. It is the best set out there and as cheap as your going to get it. There are other good options too. You could just replace the donuts on the up pipes or by the bellowed set from international. They are about 200 something. It is quite a job and a pain to install..

The CCV can just be turned around the other way. You don't have to have any filter on it. Buy a 90 degree elbow and some 3/4" heater hose and clamp it on there. Also get about a 3-4" long section of 4" exhaust to fill in the spot on the intake for it.

#17 ·
I don't recommend doing the CCV mod where you simply run a hose out the back, it is messy, stinky, and if you want to get technical it is also illegal as the CCV is part of the emissions system. There is only one way to do this mod correctly and legally and I described it to you in the PM I sent you. If you have any ? let me know by PM.
The 6.0 also benifits from the CCV mod although it is plumbed a little different.
Check your PM's.
NCH

#19 ·
I have the same problem.

My '02 Excursion w/ 7.3 diesel has the exact same oil dripping problem talked about here. I spoke with a service advisor at my local Ford shop and he told me to check the tightness on the CAC boots and to clean out the valley on top of the block. Sure enough, there was a puddle of oil there and the boots were filthy and pretty loose. I cleaned everything up and torqued down the boots and hopefully that will do it. If it doesn't, I was hoping someone could give me some more info on this o-ring problem and CCV upgrade? What's that all about and are these things that a guy with decent tools and average or better mechanical aptitude can do in his own garage?

Thanks,

Doc

#20 ·
First take your boots off and give them a cleaning. Then I would just clean out everything up there with some degreaser. Hose it down a little with water and let it dry out. Then start looking for leaks.

#21 ·
Cleaning the boots and tightening clamps won't do a thing to stop the problem. You must stop the oil from entering the intake in the first place. This is technically part of the emissions system, although currently no inspections are required on diesels, but I believe it is coming. There is only one correct way of doing the CCV mod in my opinion. Check your PM's for more info.

NCH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.