Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Aug 00' build date. PMR's or forged?

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  JoeAsheville 
#1 ·
My drivers side valve cover says Aug 00' for the build date. I know the transition took place somewhere around that time. Any way to tell without popping the inspection plug out and looking at the rods?

Thanks.

#3 ·
The actual transition happened sometime in October of 2000.

But the PMR rod was introduced in august of 2000, so there were a few hit and miss motors with PMR's between august and october.

And there were still a few motors that had forged rods in them in the few months following october.

You more then likely have forged rods, but

there is no way to know for sure with out popping the inspection cover. It aint difficult to do tho:thumb:

7.3 Inspection Hole for Powdered Metal Rod Determination

#7 ·
Thanks for the link!

NO You don't need to look at them!! You can tell by the serial number. Maybe the mods ( hint) can make this a sticky!!

Here is the engine serial number break down for the forged and powdered connecting rods. Check you engine serial number on the valve cover build sticker or you need to look at the block where the oil cooler is bolted to it .
Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods
1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods
1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods
1498319 thru final production run are all powdered
Or you can break them then you know what you have-Ha Ha-Just kidding
The reason for the break in serial numbers is a "test" run to be sure there were not any issues with the powdered rods. Once the process was production tested the powered rod process was used until the end of production.

NCH
Thats some good info!

#4 ·
NO You don't need to look at them!! You can tell by the serial number. Maybe the mods ( hint) can make this a sticky!!

Here is the engine serial number break down for the forged and powdered connecting rods. Check you engine serial number on the valve cover build sticker or you need to look at the block where the oil cooler is bolted to it .
The reason for the break in serial numbers is a "test" run to be sure there were not any issues with the powdered rods. Once the process was production tested the powered rod process was used until the end of production.

NCH

#12 ·
This is bad information. It's been repeated just about everywhere. Here's proof that it's incorrect...SN#1476065 has PMRs:

THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE IS TO EITHER LOOK THROUGH THE INSPECTION PORT IN THE BLOCK, OR DROP THE PAN. THE SERIAL NUMBER INFORMATION IS INCORRECT.

#5 ·
My engine's "birthday" was Nov12 1999 so yippee, I must have forged rods!

#6 ·
It takes a max of two minutes to pull the plug and look. You don't have to worry about oil coming out either...

#9 ·
I know im gonna get flamed for this but which is stronger? Forged or PMR's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.