Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Leaking Up-Pipes

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  AFBLUE 
#1 ·
Well I have two badly leaking Up-pipes and I need to replace the Donuts. I want the new up-pipes but that will have to wait. Anyway I have read a couple writeups and have most of the information I need. If I do it from under the truck do I need to completly remove the up-pipes or just the top of them. O anybody have any parts numbers for good gaskets at Autozone, Oreilys', or Advance. Any tips or advice will be great.

#2 ·
Sorry I dont have any usefull knowledge but here is a bump!

#4 ·
No it is really bad I just got back from a 500 mile trip to the SEC Championship Roll Tide (Even though we lost) Anyway it got worse over the weekend and now its to the point I can hear the leak. It is to the point it has to be done.

#5 ·
they all leak a little bit if its not too bad i would just leave it alone

#6 ·
The worst part is the bolts on the turbo inlet flange. In a worst case, the bolts at the manifolds are through bolts with nuts that are easy to replace if you snap them. It took me 2 hours with a blowtorch and WD-40 to back the turbo inlet bolts out without breaking them (parts out of truck in a vise)

#7 ·
All I hear is the horror stories which is bad for me because anything that can happen to me usally does. I am not doing this till saturday so I guess i will start blasting those bolts with some PB blaster

#8 ·
Does the typical 4" Down pipe allow access to the up pipe bolts while everything is still installed or do you need to cut and drop the downpipe?

#9 ·
Down pipe needs to comes out. With an aftermarket exhaust, typically, the down pipe can be pulled without cutting anything.

#10 ·
I tried the carquest part numbers for the donuts and they dont seem to work I cant find them online. Anybody have any others part numbers or a link to them online. thank for the help

#12 ·
I believe Beans diesel has some type of upgrade gaskets ( just what I've heard)
and i also saw on here recently, someone selling an aftermarket up pipe assy. just thought I'd throw that in the mix

#13 ·
Yea the new upipes are about 400 bucks so that is not in the picture right now. I just bought exhaust last week.

#14 ·
I've been looking for the ad, he was asking $300 or make offer. good luck

#16 · (Edited)
Well I ran by the dealer and picked up two donut seals Part # F4TZ-6K854-C for $11 bucks each and I went ahead and got the four bolts # W300006 whick are $5 bucks each. I got the bolts just incase i had some trouble with the others and messed one up.

#17 ·
Let me know how yours goes! I ordered the beans brass gaskets. I hope to do mine this weekend if I get them by this weekend:thumb:

#18 ·
I thought I read on here somewhere that you could use the ones for a small block chevy? I've probly got a dozen of thoes around the garage... when I did run a gasser, I ran hedders... never needed the donuts when I got gasket kits!

#19 ·
Yeah I have read that its kind of a mixed bag with the chevy gaskets. I figured I would give these a shot to see if they hold up and give some feedback to the members:thumb:

#20 ·
I'm sure brass would have to be better than the fiber ones that come with the cheap gasket kits I have bought for my chevys!

#21 ·
#22 ·
the ford ones looked like metal window screen mashed into the shape of the gasket after 220K. Carquest, or Napa the gaskets/donuts are chevy 1.5" exhaust donuts,I paid $1.74 for each of them. dont know the # but they should be able to find that. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.