Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

coolant leak

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
i walk out to my truck this morning and found this under my truck

it is leaking from here and i have no idea why

See less See more
#3 ·
not to hijack this thread but this picture is perfect... i have oil leaking from right there think im lucky enough to just have it be the pan and gasket or has anyone ever heard of a leaking front main?

G
#4 ·
!

No oil from above the crank pully? If not it will be the front crank seal or the oil pump seal. Either way fairly easy fix. I hope your not lucky enough to be the pan or silicon cuz then the motor would have to come out! :thumb:

#5 ·
Get the Airtex pump from Northern Auto, Carquest also seels the Airtex with a Lifetime warranty. Airtex also made the stock unit. This would also be a good time to install a coolant filter, change to a true ELC , and change the upper rad hose to the dual alt hose that goes around the fanbelt and not through it.

#6 ·
Are the water pumps that hard to swap on these? I have a couple of drops every now and then on the garage floor. Something is always leaking but I should prepare for the water pump.

#7 ·
No they aren't hard if you know what you're doing. You should order a new thermostat housing with O ring seal because the stock one is garbage and usually won't seal. They are about $19 from Powerstrokeshop.com, the airtex pump will come with all the gaskets and O rings for the temp sensor that you will need. Make sure you keep the bolts straight as to where they go as they are different lengths. The hardest part is removing the fan. Most chain stores will rent you the Fan removal wrenches for FREE with a deposit. Make sure the set has a 1 7/8" wrench, I got mine all stripped down and the set didn't have it and the dude said it would remove any fan, yeah right!! I let him know it too, and then went to Advance and their set had the right size. If you have any ? PM me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.