Fuel Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Fuel Leak

I have a 2000 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Discovered diesel dripping out of the tranny bell housing pan, traced it to top of engine but still can't see exactly where it is coming from. Any common areas that I should key in on. New to dealing with diesels but not intimidated. Also getting a shudder when pulling a trailer after tranny warms up. Only happens after I stop at an intersection then start off again, tranny shifts perfectly but I do get a definate shudder. Tranny is perfect without a load. Any ideas out there?:

Last edited by Julian Hood; 12-09-2006 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Had another thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Jon

Fuel leak.

It is really common for the fuel bowl drain valve to leak. Also the fuel supply line for the right head can get a hole wore in it under the glow plug relay bracket and by the turbo pedistal. Tranny shudder is common on 99's and I think on the 00's also. It is the TC if I am correct.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:30 PM

I would first look at the fuel bowl drain valve. Its real easy to fix but just tight to get to. Its behind the fuel bowl and there a 4 torx screws to remove it and iI think its a #20 torx. Remove the valve the 2 O-rings and scrap out the yellow stuff and replace the O-rings with new #90 o-rings and replace valve.
Brian
Old 12-09-2006, 02:37 PM

I have also had fuel leak from the fuel filter cover when my filter was dirty. Fuel would force its way out of the cap but I might not have hadit screwed down tight enuff. You need to remove the fuel bowl cover and crank the truck and climb up and look behind the bowl with a flashlight and watch for drips. Keep in mind your truck is running and watch for moving parts. Its to close to christmas to loose a body part.
Brian
Old 12-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check out this site they have the fuel bowl drain o rings and also have direction how to's. This happened to my moms truck and mine last winter. Scroll down to about half of the page.

link : Ford Pigtails & Code Eliminators
Old 12-09-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Stroker View Post
Check out this site they have the fuel bowl drain o rings and also have direction how to's. This happened to my moms truck and mine last winter. Scroll down to about half of the page.

link : Ford Pigtails & Code Eliminators
Yep, thats what the guy needs but WOW I need to go into business selling O-rings, 18 bucks for Viton O-rings thats way high. Go to McMaster carr and buy the same ones for 6 and some change and you get a bag of 25 incase you need them again or drop one or two.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

these guys hit it on the fuel leak, on your tranny shudder,there is a TSB from ford about the drivline angle being changed when loaded causing shudder, you can shim the carrier bearing down to help, but if doesnt do it when not loaded I wouldnt touch it and love with it while towing unless you tow more than your unloaded. try looking up tsb 06-23-4
Old 12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Drain Valve

Julian:

I've posted several repsonses in the past few days regarding this issue. I had the same problem. There is a water fuel seperator at the top of the engine. It's hidden under a black plastic cover. Remove the two nuts and you'll see the bowl that the separator mounts in. On the back of the bowl there is a yellow handle for a ball valve. The valve is used to drain water from the bowl. A drain tube is connected to the valve and runs down along the front of the egine. One of two things has happened. There are two O-rings that seal this valve assembly to the bowl. They have either cracked/rotted and failed, causing the leak, or the valve itself is bad. In the case of the valve being bad, you'll notice fuel dripping from the drain tube. A new valve assembly is around $70 from Ford. It comes complete with new O-rings and screws. You'll need a T-20 Torx bit. I suggest disconnecting your batteries before changing this out because the starting solenoid is mounted next to the bowl and you don't want to short across it. Disconnecting the wiring harnesses behind the bowl will give you better access. I suggest using a 1/4"-drive ratchet and socket with the T-20 bit. Be careful not to drop the bit. I lost 2 down in the engine. Total time for changeout is less than an hour. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:06 PM

All of these guys are correct, I would check around the fuel filter housing first. If you do not find the leak here, Someone else hit on the fact that it might be a line. I had this happen on my truck, it was the steel line that comes out of the filter housing and goes to the back of the passenger side head. There is a bracket that holds this line down around the valve cover, this bracket wore a hole in my line and also this happened to one of my friends. Just trace the line down from the fuel filter housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.