Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99 7.3 4WD mileage?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
I have a 99 7.3 4WD extended cab, short bed. Not sure of my rear gears. What should I be seeing for mileage: generally. I run the speed limit, use cruise, etc. I just pulled a 2500 pound travel trailer at 65 mph and only averaged about 10 mpg. Does not make sense to me. everything else seems ok w/ motor, I take excellent care of it...mileage just isn't adding up. Any input? Thanks for you time. Scott.

#3 ·
Well of course you are going to lose mialege since its an auto but 10 MPG is way low.

Mine is an auto with 37" tires and I am still gett over 16 - 17 MPG

#4 ·
You didnt list any mods you might have, and the terrain you were towing in...

Mine before any mods, and I bet I'd have gotten 10 MPG towing that trailer...

I get 12 - 14 mpg now, mods listed in sig for the F-350. My van is stock, but heavily loaded and only gets 10-11 MPG around town/short trips. Never enough highway miles to really get an idea of top MPG's.

#6 ·
I have a '99 250 extended cab, 8' box, 2 wheel drive with an automatic, pulling a 22' 5000# travel trailer at 70 mph, I get ~12.5 mpg. It has a Superchip that was in it when i bought, don't know much about it. Not sure about the gearing.

#9 ·
MPG

Mine has been on 3/4's of a tank for the last 2 weeks, haven't burned a drop... Oh yea, mines blown up and won't move right now...:doh::doh:

But, when it did run i got about 12 towing and 15 or so unloaded.:thumb:

#10 ·
He said he is only towing 2500lbs, he should be getting better than that will towing.
Back to the OP , please fill out your sig, tell us everything that has been done to the truck, tell us how you are computing mileage, there is only one correct way. Also fill out your location, if you are where they get winter blend fuel that can explain a lot. My truck drops a solid 2+ mpg on winter fuel. How long since FF, AF were changed? Tire pressure is critical for good mileage. So please provide us with the info and we can go from there, otherwise all you will get is "I get this, or I get that" while towing.

#11 ·
BTW. Sorry I forgot, WELCOME TO THE ORG!!! Hope you stick around even after we hopefully diagnose your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.