Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Newbie with some questions/introduction

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Raul@Stealth Automotive 
#1 ·
Well, I finally got a 7.3 :icon_ford:

Only took me about 2 years of looking and debating, but something I couldn't pass up finally came along. Its a 99 4x4 with an Auto Tranny. Runs great and I absolutely love it. I live in Fairbanks Alaska and my first day after bringing it up it was -30 °F outside... started up reasonably well (plugged in of course).

On the drive up I got about 16 mpg -- doing about 55 most of the way... it has ever so slightly oversize tires (285/75/R16's) so I am not yet sure the speedometer is precise... will find out later.

Anyhow, there is 1 issue with the truck I need to fix:

I will eventually be looking for a tuner/gauge kit for it (hate the fact that its an auto tranny, but at least everything else is perfect ... maybe someday I can switch it? Did that in a little Dodge Ram 50 back in my high-school years) My goal though is to not compromise my reliability and longevity of the truck while getting a little better performance and hopefully fuel economy. I am not really a hot rodder, I do a fair amount of towing (all around 8-12k trailers) and want to make sure I don't sacrifice the benefits of a 7.3's long life expectancy because of my tuner. I am looking to eventually get either the Tony or DB tuner... will decide as the decision becomes imminent... but would like to hear some feedback from folks who are up in the higher mileage range with tuners to see if they are a problem or not.

Big question -- my ford was manufactured in Aug of 1998... is it an early 99 or a late (99.5?) 99?

Next, I want to make sure that I am doing everything right for a new to me truck that has about 140,000 miles on it. Here is my immediate plan:

1. Change Oil and filter (suggestions on oil type/additives for -30°F weather?)
2. Change Fuel Filter
3. Change/flush transmission fluid
4. Change Transfer Case Fluids
5. Clean K&N Air Filter--relube etc
6. Grease U joints

Thinking about changing the fluid in the diffs while I am at it.

Should I consider fuel additives? Oil additives? What else should I do to ensure a long lived and happy truck? Any comments, thoughts, and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good....Heres my only changes :thumb:

1. Replace K&N Filter.... They are horrible on our Motors and Turbo's
2. Change Oil and filter (suggestions on oil type/additives for -30°F weather?)
3. Change Fuel Filter
4. Change/flush transmission fluid
5. Change Transfer Case Fluids
6. Grease U joints

By the way :ORG welcome:

#3 ·
Welcome to the ORG.

+1 for getting rid of the K&N.
Cant really make a suggestion on the oil. I run fleet 15W40 that I get from the Army.

Everything looks good in your plan!

#4 ·
I will just add you should get yourself gauges and a larger exhaust with a better filter as the stock sucks before you buy the chip or tuner. Also a good synthetic oil will help you immensly with the cold temps:thumb:

#5 ·
welcome to the org i cant recomend any oil im never in cold weather so i stick with the thick out but +1 for dumping the K&N welcome to the org. and congrats on being an owner of the best diesel motor in the world!!!!

#9 ·
Congrats, you own an "early bird", welcome to the club and :ORG welcome:

You will need to find out if your intake pulls air from the fender well or from a tube around the battery. That will dictate what intake you can get. All the exhausts work fine. You already have the "wicked wheel" so that is a plus.

#12 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the welcomes to the org... and thanks for identifying it as an early 99.

The K&N is not a drop in replacement for the OEM, but rather the entire intake tube setup etc... is the consensus that it is still dangerous for the engine due to being prone to dusting? Any recommendations on what to replace it with?

Thanks again, this site has been a wealth of information to me in deciding to buy a 7.3, and now that I actually own one I can only begin to imagine how much of a treasure it will be. Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and assistance!

Thanks...

Its a warm and balmy -6°F now! Diesels starting just fine!

#14 ·
Welcome!

I bought my truck with 143K on it, and I'm up to 170K now... these trucks will last to 300K easy with regular maintnence, and I've heard of double that in meny cases.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.