Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

After stopping the engine idles higher than normal

730 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  daboostcreep 
#1 ·
I have been noticing lately that when I come to a stop sometimes my truck is idling a bit high. If I shift from D to N the revs drop to where they should be. Then if I shift from N to D the idle is fine until I take off and stop again. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Where do you live? I really encourage all members to fill out your signature so we have an idea what we are giving advice on, as well as where you are located. A truck having starting issues up North can be a different problem than one in FLorida!! So please give us more info.
Could just be the high idle kicking in, this happens in cold temps.

NCH

#4 ·
What is a bit high? Unless it was way high like over 1000 rpm's I wouldn't worry about it.

NCH

#5 ·
Its not that i'm super concerned, but its not right. When you come to idle the truck should idle within 100RPM of normal 100% of the time as long as you're not running accessories like A/C.

The idle is usually about 200-300RPM higher than it is when I shift into Neutral. This is counter-logical, as when a drive gear is engaged the idle should dip. In neutral the idle should be the same or slightly higher.

#6 ·
It will usually be a bit higher than when in gear, but you still haven't said how high of a idle were talking about, 100, 200 300 rpm.s ???

NCH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.