Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

any way to tell if ebp sensor is bad?

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  bandit1 
#1 ·
anyone know of any way to check this sensor, before i drop 150 on a new one:dunno:

#2 ·
WHAT!!!!!!! That's almost triple what it should run. Go to the International dealer, IIRC mine was $65. When I got the EBPS code I was able to clean the carbon build up off the base of it twice before the sensor finally quit. Try cleaning it and the tube with brake cleaner, clear the code, if the code returns you need to replace the sensor.
Good Luck

NCH

#3 ·
did that, i think i got a little rough cleaning it out. it had alot of carbon buildup in it. replaced the tube already, that had a hole rusted in it. we have two ford dealerships in town, one is 187 the other is 136, oreillys is 110. would any international dealer have this item?

#5 ·
Glad I deleted all that stuff from my early 99!
I think if you unplug the EBPV you should also be able to just unplug the sensor to.
I removed my EBPV and the EBP tube and the sensor and the actuator in the turbo pedestal a year or two ago.

#8 ·
It is supposed to help the engine warm up faster in cold weather by restricting the exhaust flow. I did some tests in about 25* weather and it made less than 1 minutes difference as to when my heater started blowing warm. If you live in an artic climate it might be somewhat useful but I’m glad I removed mine. You’d be surprised what all stuff came from the factory that can be deleted or modified or improved on.
Definitely check the International dealer, usually way cheaper than Ford on most parts, the one in my area had one in stock and knew all about the powerstroke, also I’ve had good luck getting parts like that on eBay.

#7 ·
Yes it is there for a reason, but it is like a appendix, you can live without it. Any IH dealer will have it on the shelf. Look in your phonebook for the local International dealer. Tell them you need it for a T444E, or the idiot behind the counter will think it is a prank call!!

NCH

#9 ·
yep found one at the local ih truck dealer. had it on the shelf. more than i can say for the two ford dealers we have here in town. it took the parts guy two minutes and he had it in his hand, must have dealt with this item before!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.