Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Time to Rebuild

923 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dirk 
#1 ·
Getting ready to rebuild and looking for ideas and advice.

I am pretty sure the old 7.3 is dead this time, so a rebuild is in the works.

I am going to rebuild the engine myself and I want to put it back together a little better than it was stock. Not lookin to go to crazy, just want a little more pony on tap for haulin the camper and pullin the bronco to the hills.

This is my idea so far,

Rebuild the short block using basically factory parts
Have the heads rebuilt (Maybe do some port matching or polishing:dunno:)
Head studs
Stage 2 Rosewood DIY injector kit
HPX crossover
Pre Tank kit from ITP
TW 6 Position Chip
Rebuild the factory Turbo (for now, with plans to upgrade in the future)
New pushrods (Since 2 of the old ones were broken in half)
CCV delete
6.0 intercooler upgrade while the front end is torn apart

So what kind of numbers you guys think this will make?:dunno:

Would like to see 400, but that is probably not going to happen without a new turbo.

Any Ideas or advice are very welcome.:thumb::icon_ford:

See less See more
#3 ·
You can get a long block 7.3 bored 40 over :)

#5 ·
Leave the heads alone.

Add Comp 910 valve springs and a full regulated return. With the right tuning, you may hit around 400hp.

Also, the factory short block parts are fine. I would coat the bearings and piston skirts and ceramic coat the tops of the pistons. Look into a fluidampr also.

#6 ·
Rebuild

I have looked into purchasing long blocks, short blocks, used engines, and even engine swaps but I think my best bet and most cost effective route is a rebuild with some upgrades in the process.

Dirk, thanks for the heads up on the coated bearings, and I will be ceramic coating the pistons for sure.

Should I do anything with the Rods or leave them alone?:dunno:

And yeah, the heated living room rebuild is looking better all the time as the temps are in the low 20's right now.:hehe::hehe:

#8 ·
Build

Yeah, I'll post some pics of the carnage when I get it torn apart. I have a feeling it will be really ugly inside. Just have the feeling, ya know!:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.