Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wait To Start or Just Crank

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  colberjs 
#1 ·
Curious what everyone does to start their trucks? Its obvious that on the 1st start of a cold morning the GPs need to cycle....But here's the thing...

1) Does the light mean a damn thing or does it just always come on for a set period of time? I mean, it comes on when the truck is warm. I assume its safe to just crank the thing? What good could possibly come from GPs on a warm engine?.....

2) Oddly enough, even the 1st start of the day...if its 50* or above...my truck will fire faster without letting the GPs cycle...why is that? If I let the GPs cycle it will actually crank longer and not start as smoothly....that baffles me... :dunno:

#2 ·
Ehh, if its in the 50s, id just crank it, I only wait for mine when it gets below 45.

G
#3 ·
!

The gp light is completely independant of the gps. Even if the light is only on for lets say 15 seconds the pcm will command the gps for anywhere from 2-120 seconds. From habit of owning and working on them I always automatically atleast let them heat for about 3-5 seconds. As for your truck starting better without the use of them, they are on as soon as you hit the key. Also them being on will not hamper the starting of the truck.

#4 ·
The gp light is completely independant of the gps. Even if the light is only on for lets say 15 seconds the pcm will command the gps for anywhere from 2-120 seconds. From habit of owning and working on them I always automatically atleast let them heat for about 3-5 seconds. As for your truck starting better without the use of them, they are on as soon as you hit the key. Also them being on will not hamper the starting of the truck.
Yea that makes sense. I know they are never technically off when you turn the key...but Im saying it will start noticable faster going from off to start with no time on the acc spot. I was curious if anyone could say why that would be. Its not my imagination either...haha. :rofl:

#7 ·
Yeah the WTS light is an idiot light, and independent like Jon said. I have a light hooked to my gp's. I don't even look at the WTS light anymore. I look at my light. If it comes on, I let them cycle, lenth of time depends on temp. If it is warmed up, and my light doesn't come on even thought the WTS light might be on, I just crank it over.

As far as starting better w/o them.....:shrug:

#8 ·
I don't believe your truck doesn't need GP's to start!! Maybe not where you live, but get that baby cold enough and disconnect your GPR and I promise you she won't start!!

The reason why it cranks faster before the GP's is pretty simple. Your GP's are drawing 200amps, that's some serious juice. Due to the condition of your batteries, it makes sense it may crank a bit slower after drawing 200 amps for several seconds + . With newer batteries this will not be as evident.
I always wait for my WTS to estinguish, is it needed, most of the time , NO. But it is a darn good habit to get into.
NCH

#17 ·
I dont think you did a very good job of reading my original post.:tard: I never said it doesnt need them at all. I said that if its say 50* and above...the truck will start faster without them....I dont mean the cranking speed, I mean the truck will fire off in almost half the time. Maybe its simply the colder, more dense air will fire off more quickly.

I have already experienced a 20* or so morning start and its quite obvious the GPs are needed.

I would like to know more about hooking up a light to the GPs so you know when they are actually in operation.

#9 ·
Jon awsome avatar I used to ride the he!! out of one just like that,put on 6500 trouble free miles on it before it was finally wore out.

#11 ·
found one in a barn in Iowa for 50 bucks, im in the process of restoring

#13 ·
That will make a good unit!:thumb:

#14 ·
Seat belt law in Illinois. I turn on the key - put on my seatbelt - start the truck. I don't usually wait anylonger than that uunless it really cold and I forgot to plug it in.
I even do this in my wife's car. Habbit I guess.:nod:

#16 ·
and a good one at that!!!

NCH

#19 ·
On a similar topic, should the truck idle kinda rough for a short period of time if it is cold? Mine almost sounds like it has a lope to it or is about to die when its about 35 or cooler outside for anywhere from 15-25 seconds. Also mine has to crank quite a bit more than I feel like it should any time I start it. But I'm no diesel expert, I'm used to owning gassers that usually fire right off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.