Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

please help me!!

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  fyreles 
#1 ·
so the other day i fired up my truck and i didnt wait the whole time for the glow plugs so it starts and revs up and down betwen like 300-600 rpms then dies i wait for glow plugs and then it started right up..... so this morning i fire it up waited for glow plugs completly and it fires normal it runs about a minute then it idles down and up from about 300-600 rpms again about 3 times then dies i waited tried again no problems???????? what could be going on??:confused:

someone help this is my daily driver i cant get stranded please help
thanks in advance

#2 ·
Check all youre filters. Make sure youre fuel pump is running and you are getting fuel. And have you hap the CPS replaced?

#3 ·
Sounds like the high idle isn't kicking in. Does it turn over good and quick? Is the only problem the racing low idle? Any white smoke?

NCH

#5 · (Edited)
im using 5w 40 mobile one turbo diesel truck oil cps has been changed and no filters are pluged it only does this at an idle and it will just do it a couple times and die out so far today after this morning it has not done it no white smoke i could see

#7 ·
yeah, you need the glow plugs. they warm the cylinders to alow compression. it runs like crap because you are not allowing an important part of the process from happening.

#9 ·
Follow the troubleshooting GP thread in the Maintenance section.

NCH

#11 ·
Actually it shouldn't hurt the truck not to use the GP's ( depending on temps) it will just be harder to start. A diesel doesn't need the warming up like a gasser, once the OP comes up you are good to go. I still keep the rpm's below 2000 until the temp starts to come up. I usually let mine warm up for a couple minutes to get some heat in the cab!!

NCH

#12 ·
yes 7.3's do have a fuel bowl heater, however I haven't used mine in about three years.

#14 ·
How cold is it? You need the GP's in the cooler weather and it is a good idea to wait in all temps, but not needed if the temps are higher or if the vehicle is warmed up. I always wait.

NCH

#15 · (Edited)
Could this be a fuel issue, try some anti gel type of additive. In this area sometimes it's an issue with the first bit of cold weather and fuel that is not treated. Just a thought. I had the same problem last week the first time it hit < 5 degrees. 911 treatment, a filter change and fuel known to be treated was the fix for me. Just a thought.....I see you are in Hibbing,MN. I am 50 mi south of you and it's cold here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.