Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Quick questions!!

780 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
#1 When in gear foot on brake idling, My intake is noisy as hell, like a vibrating sound. I guess the noise is coming from motor because turbo isnt spooling.

#2 When accelerating its very loud in cab, Does anyone have a solution to that.

#3 I have a wicked wheel to install. On previous threads they said to go ahead and get an ATS housing too. The housings I have seen are around $400. Do I need that housing that bad.

Need you guys expert opinions.

#2 ·
I am not sure about the vibrating sound,havent heard mine do that.As for the wicked wheel,I didnt go with a housing and mine seems to be fine.Everyones truck and ideas will always be different.I am happy with it.

#3 ·
I'll try, but I'm not an expert.

1) I bet it's your monster exhaust. My 4" barely fit and could easily vibrate against something. Isolate the vibrating part by putting someone in the truck to make the sound and then try and find it. Fixing the vibration should be easy once it is found.

2) It's a diesel with a big exhaust. It's supposed to be loud on acceleration. Mine is especially bad when it is cold outside.

3) No need for a special housing.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was spending the money on exhaust, so I figured get the 5". I like the truck loud, my wife just has a problem with it.

#5 ·
Is your Down Pipe 4" too. Mine is 5" until the down pipe then it goes to 4". Did you have trouble with yours. When I shut my truck off you can here it clunking.

#6 ·
I would say you guys have something loose, I have a truck with a 4 inch and another with a 5 inch dp, and no rattles or noises from it..

#7 ·
Mine is 4" all the way to the turbo. The 4" is actually the closest to hitting the bolts on the trans X-member and at the same time the transmission heat shield. It's a real skinny spot where the pipe must go so I can't imagine trying to fit 5" pipe in there.

If you are hearing it clunk at shutdown then your pipe is really close to something since these engines seem to sit firmly on the mounts.

Funny you mention the wife factor. I like the sound too but the wife went with me one freezing morning to pick up a big potted tree and the cold engine was loud enough that she felt the need to raise her voice to speak. I got a kick out of it and would wait for the gears to shift and the engine to quiet down before speaking back to her and then as she began to talk I would make it louder again. Great fun!

#8 ·
hahaha thats funny. I do that to girls all the time, it was alot of fun in the summer with the windows down and stacks...

#9 ·
#1 When in gear foot on brake idling, My intake is noisy as hell, like a vibrating sound. I guess the noise is coming from motor because turbo isnt spooling.

If it is a vibrating sound you have something loose, probably in the exhaust when you put the system in. Time to crawl around underneath and start grabbing things until the noise goes away.

#2 When accelerating its very loud in cab, Does anyone have a solution to that.

What ???? Just kidding, as already stated, it's a diesel and you added a 5" echo chamber that just made it even louder, and now you want it quite.....? Can't have it both ways. BTW, you didn't even need a 4" system if the truth be known, the restriction is in the factory muffler not in the size of the plumbing!! No need to go larger in the piping unless big HP increases are in your future, or your old system is shot and you need to replace it anyway, in that case I have seen 4" systems cheaper than the 3.5" because of the popularity. Everyone thinks they need to go larger, and the larger the better, when this is simply not the case.

#3 I have a wicked wheel to install. On previous threads they said to go ahead and get an ATS housing too. The housings I have seen are around $400. Do I need that housing that bad.

Why install the WW? Are you habing problems with turbo surge? That's about the only reason to try one, there are no HP gains to be had. The WW fixes surge on some trucks but not on others, the only cure for sure is the ATS housing. But if you aren't having surge issues I see no reason to do either one.

Need you guys expert opinions.
No expert, but have been around these things for awhile, PM me with any ?

NCH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.