Cummins Conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cummins Conversion

So I have been thinking about this for about a month now. I know there are guys around that have done the swap. I wanna know what it will cost to get a CR cummins in my truck. Price includeding motor, adapters, computers, ect.... So that it is done right and reliable and could be driven across country with no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Has anyone who wants to put a different engine in their truck ever thought about something besides a cummins? I like seeing originality and the same ol' cummins is getting old. I was actually looking at different engines that might be able to fit in my truck just for $hits & giggles. I'm pretty partial to John Deere equipment and checked out their website. They currently offer a 6.8L I6 common rail with power rating up to 275 HP & about 750 ft/lb of torque. I think the big problem with that is that it weighs about 1500 lb but it would make for a good tow rig. How much does the cummins weigh anyway? Detroit currently has the MBE 900 which is a 7.2L I6. I think the power ratings on that was up to 250 HP & about 650 ft/lb. but it weighs almost 1400 lb. I know there's a lot more engine possibilities out there both old and new but I just did a quick search. I'm sure the cummins swap would be a whole lot cheaper and easier though since they already have kits available. Something different sure would be interesting.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 PM

Oh, yeah, and the engine that's in your truck right now can get you across the country and back with no worries as long as you've kept up on your maintenance.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:52 PM

12-15,000....depending on labor costs
Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99' Powerstroke View Post
Has anyone who wants to put a different engine in their truck ever thought about something besides a cummins? I like seeing originality and the same ol' cummins is getting old. I was actually looking at different engines that might be able to fit in my truck just for $hits & giggles. I'm pretty partial to John Deere equipment and checked out their website. They currently offer a 6.8L I6 common rail with power rating up to 275 HP & about 750 ft/lb of torque. I think the big problem with that is that it weighs about 1500 lb but it would make for a good tow rig. How much does the cummins weigh anyway? Detroit currently has the MBE 900 which is a 7.2L I6. I think the power ratings on that was up to 250 HP & about 650 ft/lb. but it weighs almost 1400 lb. I know there's a lot more engine possibilities out there both old and new but I just did a quick search. I'm sure the cummins swap would be a whole lot cheaper and easier though since they already have kits available. Something different sure would be interesting.
There are some things to be orginal about and some not to be. I am all about being different and doing what you want versus what the masses do. BUUUUT with something like this, unless you have a LOT of time, a VERY nice machine shop, and ALOT of experience you will want to use an engine that has conversion parts available.

The cummins CR is the exact engine I am now thinking about doing. I started wanting to do the 12v because of simplicity but the CR's wiring isnt really that bad and a good donor motor will have pretty much all the wiring harness you will need. Here is a list I have put together for my swap. I plan on getting everything put together in my shop before ever taking a single part out of my truck. In hopes of keeping the downtime to as little as possible.

Engine to tranny adapater- $695 (destroked)
Tranny computer- $699 (destroked)
Intake/IC pipes- $400 (fab myself but purchase mandrel bend sections)
Engine mounts- $150 (fab myself with new bushings)
A/C- $400 (gonna use a dodge compressor and have lines made, evac/charge)
Radiator- $100 (dont know what I will need for hoses)
PS- $100 (dodge pump but have new lines made with correct fittings)
Computer tuning- $250 (have appropriate stand alone tunning done to engine ECM)
----------------------------
Conservative total= $2794

This does not include a BUILT tranny made, a proper donor engine, any performance upgrades, any instrument cluster requirements. I hope to do mine for less than $10k but I wont start it until I have $20k available to spend....
Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 AM

There's definitely people out there with deep enough pockets and the skills to put something like that together, I just haven't really seen many who have the desire to do it. I have heard of people who have put cat engines in their pickups, and I read somewhere about a guy who put an old Detroit diesel in his chevy truck. There's a guy around town that has a cat 3208 in his old chevy truck, but from what I hear the 3208 wasn't a very good engine.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

There are places that specialize in doing this swap. They can do it far faster and more professional and I am sure cheaper than you can. I would take it to one of them. Google is your friend.

NCH
Old 11-26-2008, 08:04 AM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Call and talk to Bean at Beans Diesel Performace. He does these conversions and even drives a CR conversion.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to justafarmtruck
x2 on beans
Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 AM

It seems that most guys are looking to Ryan Bean to do their conversions, he seems to have a pretty good grasp as to what exactly needs to be done to make the conversion go smoothly. 615-563-7800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.