Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel filter

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Jmaccal 
#1 ·
What is the best fuel filter for the 7.3, what makes it the best and does it really matter which one I get?

#2 ·
I just got one from Advance Auto. :dunno:

#3 ·
i think there all the same all i know is i went to the local ford dealer to get because it was on my way home and it was 30 bucks for one filter. wont do that again i stay with my wix filter for 15.95

#15 ·
I wish I could find a filter for 15.95 around here, cheapest I've seen was 27.00

#5 ·
Wix or Motorcraft are the only ones I would ever use, and WIX is the only filter that has been in my truck. Napa sells them. They are all not the same!!! It's all about the filter media.

NCH

#7 ·
I just started useing fleetguards because I can get them from work. If they run them on big rigs I can't see a problem with running it on my truck

#9 ·
There are differences. The biggest one being that some filters come with a new lid and some require reuse of the original separate lid. Huge deal if you don't have the original lid.

The NAPA fuel filter cost me like 35$ and comes with the lid attached, filter media is yellow in color. I hate this filter because the new and improved NAPA filter has a square cut o-ring seal for the lid which leaks. The OEM style chamfered O-ring will be better IMO.

I bought a new motorcraft filter from the Ford dealer last night for 43$. It is the filter only with no lid, media is white in color, and the O-ring is chamfered.

#12 ·
I have no idea what filter your local Napa is selling but it sure doesn't sound like the WIX filter!! The WIX doesn't have a lid and is white with a champfered cut O ring. Let me also say the Fleetguards are a good filter as well.
I need to change mine out soon, if the Wix has gone to a lid on them I will go back to MC. or Fleetguard.

NCH

#13 ·
I kept the box from this NAPA filter and I believe it said NAPA on it and not WIX. In the box I stored the old filter and OEM lid in individual ziplocs to use as emergency spares or for when my next filter doesn't come with a lid. I'll look at the box for clues.

Seriously, a square cut rubber O-ring. I believe intended to keep the installer from putting the OEM style on upside down. It appears to be a thin slice of a large rubber hose.

I haven't been able to get it to stop seeping fuel. Reinstalled it a couple of times and wiped it clean.

#19 ·
Oreily lists the lids on their website for about 11 or 12 dollars IIRC, Ford has them too but they are about 30 bucks just for the lid. Autozone filters come with the lid also.

#22 ·
I use motocraft,
powerstrokeshop.com has them at a decent price

#23 ·
I use the NAPA Gold with square cut gasket, works great comes with lid, filter and gasket. They said they were having problems with the other triangle shaped gaskets so that is why they changed them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.