Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How To Drain Oil & Fuel Rails: Injector Q&A

21K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  alberta 7.3 
#1 ·
I'm finally getting out of the 'chip, exhaust, intake, & intercooler' phase & trying to get into internals. I was reading in an article in a diesel magazine(some may have seen this. Title of the article was 'Diesel vs. Gas') where they were doing some bolt-on modifications to a '97 PSD, & a '96 5.8. In the article, it went on about the guy installing the injectors had a quick method of installing the injectors compared to Ford's recommendation of draining the oil & fuel lines so oil or fuel don't get into the ports. I'm eventually going to get injectors sometime down the road, & wanted to learn everything I can about removal/intall. I'm guessing there's not much difference between the '97 & my '01's injectors, but I'm going to ask anyway: The injector removal/install is the same, right? How do you drain the oil & fuel lines? Are there any tips or tricks in swapping injectors?

#2 ·
I dont have any answers the questions above, But there is a another forum that I would check out if your looking to get more technical(PowerstrokeNation). They have lots of good info and some very smart people over there.

But someone should come along and help you here.

#6 ·
I will definitely check it out! Thanks, Harohunter.:thumb:
i also read that article i not conviced on that method i would rather take my time and drain the rails that way you dont have to jam an injector in th hole as fast as possible but oh well to each his own
No, I am not @ all convinced with the 'quick' method, either. I find it more of a professional-level job that way. This is why I'm asking for the drain method.

You dont have to do any draining of fuel, just oil. It makes it a lot easier to start up and reduces the risk of hydrolocking. All you do is remove the two oil galley plugs on each head. you do this after removing the UVCH and gasket, then undo these plugs with a 1/8" allen head, being sure to get the bit seated in there so you don't risk stripping it then give it about 30 minutes to completely drain, then start pulling the oil deflectors, retaining bolts and injectors, and yeah its the same on both trucks, if you needs pics of the oil galley plugs I have them, I also drained the HPOP reservoir
Doesn't sound too bad. Where does the oil go when you remove these plugs, or are you sucking oil out? What does UVCH stand for & where is it w/ gasket? I'd like to see the pics!

WHEN YOU PUT THOSE INJECTORS IN CALL ME AND I'LL HELP YOU OUT AND I'LL STAY ON THE PHONE AND WALK YOU THROUGH IT.DONT WORRY I DO IT ALL THE TIME.THATS WHAT GOOD SERVICE IS ABOUT.REMEMBER TO GET (NEW WIRE HARNESS AND CV GASKETS).THAT WAY YOU DONT HAVE TO GO BACK IN THERE LATER AND IF YOU GOT MONEY CHANGE GLOW PLUGS TOO:thumb:
hawaiian; you've helped me with many other problems I've had. I'll definitely keep you on speed dial!:thumb:

#3 ·
i also read that article i not conviced on that method i would rather take my time and drain the rails that way you dont have to jam an injector in th hole as fast as possible but oh well to each his own

#4 ·
You dont have to do any draining of fuel, just oil. It makes it a lot easier to start up and reduces the risk of hydrolocking. All you do is remove the two oil galley plugs on each head. you do this after removing the UVCH and gasket, then undo these plugs with a 1/8" allen head, being sure to get the bit seated in there so you don't risk stripping it then give it about 30 minutes to completely drain, then start pulling the oil deflectors, retaining bolts and injectors, and yeah its the same on both trucks, if you needs pics of the oil galley plugs I have them, I also drained the HPOP reservoir

#5 ·
PSD

WHEN YOU PUT THOSE INJECTORS IN CALL ME AND I'LL HELP YOU OUT AND I'LL STAY ON THE PHONE AND WALK YOU THROUGH IT.DONT WORRY I DO IT ALL THE TIME.THATS WHAT GOOD SERVICE IS ABOUT.REMEMBER TO GET (NEW WIRE HARNESS AND CV GASKETS).THAT WAY YOU DONT HAVE TO GO BACK IN THERE LATER AND IF YOU GOT MONEY CHANGE GLOW PLUGS TOO:thumb:

#7 ·
When you remove the gallery drain plugs, it drains inside the head, and into the crankcase. Pull the rearmost injector first on both sides, wait ten minutes or so, this will cause most of the oil/diesel to fill the back cylinder. Pull the rest of the injectors. Have a coffee/beer/smoke/whatever. Using a suction gun (thingy that looks like an a$$ end of a grese gun) with a 1/4" tube adapted to it, insert the 1/4" tube down the nozzle hole and suck everything you can out until you hear the straw in a soda can sound. install injectors. Bar the engine over 3-4 turns to make sure it isn't hydrolocked. If you encounter any resistance other than compression STOP!!! If the engine can't bar over, pull the glow plugs and bar over 2-3 turns, followed by jumping the starter relay to blow out any remaining fluid. reinstall glow plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.