Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Installing Glow Plug Relay

26K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  ktfjammer 
#1 ·
This site has been so great. I want to thank all of you for your help. Reading the threads made it easy for me to change my glow plugs without any issues.

My question is, I have a 99 Ford F350 4x4 7.3L. I am getting ready to change the glow plug relay. I am waiting to get the relay. I look at they location of the relay, which is behind the fuel filter, and I notice there is two relays. One in the front and one just behind. From reading the threads I know the one in the back is the glow plug relay and the one in the front is the intake heater relay. I am replacing the glow plug relay, do I also need to replace the intake heater relay. If so, it seems they are different sizes. What do I ask for at a parts store. I live in the mountains in a small town and went I went to the parts store and asked for a glow plug relay they looked puzzled. I know if I ask for a intake heater relay, I am going to get looks. Are they the same type of relay?

Thank you again, Jim:icon_ford:

#2 ·
99 F350 Superduty 7.3L Powerstroke diesel AFE stage II cold air intake, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust with 4" down tube and 5" SS tip.

#3 ·
No need to change it unless it ain't working! Hopefully you read my tech article on testing the GP system and you have ordered the Stancor relay and not the piece of garbage Ford relay!! If you want to stick with a crappy stock relay I hope you followed my info and went to Napa and asked for a GPR 109, the book will call for a 110, but they are identical relays, except the studs are rotated 180 degrees and the 110 is double the cost. The wires still reach and you can pick up the 109 for about $25, better buy two as they don't last long. Or as I said spend $40 and get the Stancor and never have to replace it again. You need to grind a little of the mounting bracket for it to fit but it is easily done and my truck has never started so good since installing it. I think I have pics in my sig. The cheap Ford relays can't handle to 200amps constant for long, that is why the Stancor is the only unit I will use and recommend now. PM me with any ?

NCH

#4 ·
Thank you very much. In refernece to the Stancor relay, I went to their website and there were many to chose from. Which on is the correct relay. The AIH relay, how do you know if it has gone bad or starting to get bad. Have not found your thread regarding testing the GP system. I am glad I already replaced the glow plugs, time consuming but a piece of cake. When I pulled out the plugs I could tell they were bad. Thank a bunch...

#5 ·
#7 ·
The Stancor won't help if your GP's ain't working so you better test them.

NCH

#9 ·
I have been having bad starts all along in the cold. replaced the glow plugs, new batterys, new injectors... and I totaly forgot about the relay! thanks for reminding me! I ordered it from advanced and it was 16 bucks. Im to impatetion to wait the week to order the good one...

#10 ·
I would order the Stancor so when the other one fails you can put on a quality part. These relays see 200 amps when the GP's are on for up to 2 min at a time. The stock units are simply not made to handle this type of power running through them for this long of a time period. Everyone I have opened up is cooked inside and very brittle. It actually surprises me that we don't see engine fires because of them, dead serious!!

NCH

#11 ·
Yeah, I am looking at ordering one, I just need something now, and when places can deliever me today, they win.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks again all. It has been cold here and I just now installed the new relay (the GP I already had intalled earlier, thanks to powerstroke.org they took time but was easy to install) and it started right up. Thanks to all and powerstroke.org.

#14 ·
Glad you got it running, you are welcome. Fill out your signature of all your mods and it will put it in each of your replies, it really helps when we are trying to help you with a problem.
Take Care
Happy Turkey Eve!!

NCH

#15 ·
Hey Hornet, I know this has nothing to do with the thread. Do you have to re-enter yoiur sig everytime you post or is it in your profile

99 F350 Superduty 7.3L Powerstroke diesel AFE stage II cold air intake, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust with 4" down tube and 5" SS tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.