Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Problem with Door Ajar light

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Buffalo444 
#1 ·
My 99 F250 super cab keeps saying the door is ajar when the doors are securely closed. The interior lights stay on too. Sometimes it goes out and others no matter what i do it will not go off. Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
the switch on the door might be jammed, or not working

#3 ·
Spray the latch mechanism, up into the innards, with WD40 or your favorite penetrating oil. It works for most guys but not me. I have this gremlin all the time right after it rains.

#4 ·
I agree lube the plunger switch on the door jamb, this will cure the problem the majority of the time. Unless you have those gremlins them can be a real pain!!

NCH

#6 ·
I looked and looked for the plunger but couldn't find it. My old trucks had an actual visible button that was pressed by the closing door. Do these fords have one? Is it internal somewhere?

#8 ·
Lube with?

You know what is funny is I just change to part few years back and it is doing it again. The funny thing is I live at approximately 6500 feet. It does not do anything at elevation. When I go do the hill, that is when the problem starts. The door a jar and dome light goes on when I come to a stop. Dome light goes out when I reach 15mph. Any suggestions?

99 Ford PSD F350 7.3L
AFE stage II cold air intake
MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust with 4" down tube and
"5" SS tip:icon_ford::dunno:

#9 ·
There isnt a plunger, they are sensed by the latch and the bar on the door. If you spray it with white lithium grease and let it go, after a few hours it will start working again, sometimes right away. I tried WD-40 and it works for a little while, but then it starts acting up again. The white lithium will leve a white / yellow residue on it, but it makes it work! Just spray inside the latch and cover the little bar it latches around.

#10 ·
Thank you, so you spray the LG on the outside of the door and not inside the door panel, right? Would you also use the break cleaner to clean the are first? Thanks again for this site.

#12 ·
had this same problem for a day... gonna LG it to keep it from happening again. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.