Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Removed the Radiator

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
I just got back from taking out my Radiator. I wasnt sure how hard it was going to be, turned out to be a 15 minute job.

All you do is take out the bolts on the brackets that hold the spare tire equipment, then take off your houses, take the fan cover off and push it back, then lift the radiator out. I was lucky enough to have a plow on, and I could get to the hoses well, my drain valve doesnt work so I got a face full of coolant... I have been washing my mouth out all afternoon.... :tard:

Luckly it does look like my edges just need re-crimped.

#4 ·
No, that picture was fire. The early stages off it.

Does antifreeze taste worse than trans fluid? Trans fluid leaves one nasty aftertaste. Diesel is not near as bad. :doh:
Its worse than trans fuild. I almost threw up a few times. Burns the eyes too.... :doh:

#3 ·
Does antifreeze taste worse than trans fluid? Trans fluid leaves one nasty aftertaste. Diesel is not near as bad. :doh:

#5 ·
Nothing beats pulling the coolant hose off the top of the water pump while the coolant system is still under pressure...... talk about a friggin fountain of green, sticky, smelly mess. I got covered and so did the motor, it was a goooood time!

#7 ·
Yeah it sucked... I finally got the taste out of my mouth... got to wash all my cloths before work tomarrow now too...

What the heck caught on fire?
When my injectors were done, the plow siloniode got broke off and knocked down into the engine bay, and under WOT for some reason it sent a charge threw my I/C pipes and cut the motor, well my mechainc friend and I were test driving it, it kept shorting the truck out, and trying to limp it back to his shop it killed the batterys and shut down, and smoke started coming out from under the hood. When I opened it the passanger side dust shield and all the plastic was on fire. It was to deep inside the motor to get my shirt on it to smother it. The other guy ran to a house trying to get water, I called my friend who was waiting at the shop for us, and he told the worker for got in there truck and one ran (which was funny) and got the fire out. The picture was when it first started, they called me crazy for taking a picture :dunno: by the time we put it out the fire was hitting the hood, there are burn marks on it.... It was scary at first we thought it was a battery and we backed off in fear it was going to explode, but I have fire training and wasnt going to watch my truck burn down, glad we didnt assume.

#9 ·
sometimes when I am upset with it, I wish I would have let it... I had flash backs tho when the radiator started leaking and the seam was coming out... I was like hear we go again...

but I just wish I had a picture right before the fire ext. got sprayed... they could see the fire from over a 1/4 mile away...

#11 ·

Thanks, thats the picture from it. I had a thread on it somewhere

#12 ·
Droped it off at the shop today, they said like 50 bucks :)

#13 ·
of course i need a new one, I guess the top tank is cracked. I just ordered one from advanced for 200 and it will be here today.

#14 ·
Get some Fleetrite coolant and a coolant filter for the install. Might as well do it righjt.

NCH

#15 ·
I was planing on doing that, but I cant do it now, got snow coming..

#16 ·

Can someone tell me what those fitings are for? THe ones with the red cap? My old one didnt have them, is it something I can just leave or is the wrong radiator?

#18 ·
so can i just leave it alone untill i run trans lines to it

#21 ·
That's what I have, I'm running a cooler off of a v-10 truck and it's larger and I noticed a temp. drop no question. It's also a 100% direct bolt in, no funky mounts or line setups either.

#20 ·
okay thanks dirk.

I got it in, I didnt fill her up yet because it started freezing rain.

#22 ·
The V10 cooler was the mod to do before the 6.0 came out. They did a good job of dropping temps but the 6.0 is twice as large ( IIRC ) as the V10 and still mounts to the factory location, changing the hose from 1/2 to 3/8 is no big deal. The V10 cooler is basically the same cooler as the Tru Cool maxand if it is keeping things cool that's all that matters.

NCH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.