Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

First 6spd...

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  orng1 
#1 ·
So I just got my first diesel that has a manual tranny and i was just wondering about shifting. I have heard of float shifting, power shifting, slipping the clutch ect, ect. My point is, what method do you use, what do you use it for (daily driving, racing, towing), and how do u do it?

#3 ·
pulling a 40' gooseneck I would start in low and dry shift after that, when you have a load it makes finding gears pretty easy, the only times iwould use my clutch is when I start/stop. I would use the same style unloaded but would start in 1st

#4 ·
The 6 speed is a awesome tranny, especially for towing. I would shift the same way you shift any other car, no power shifting and no need for double cluthing for slip shifting, just shift it like normal, although you may want to start off in 2nd gear and first is a granny, as you now know!!

NCH

#5 ·
late night bump...

#7 ·
I shift normal in mine, i only use low for crawling and stuck in heavy traffic. never towed anything so i couldn't tell you there.

#8 ·
I shift normal...but if I'm feeling froggy and want to get into the boost and keep it there, I'll feather the clutch in 2nd-overdrive while getting on the go fast pedal. I lose about 5-6 psi between shifts this way.

#12 ·
my wife had an'88 Grand Am that I would shift clutchless after rolling and it didn't take long for the synchros to wear out. But, used to operate a Putzmeister 36m concrete pump and shifting that clutchless was the only way to go.
I don't shift my 6spd clutchless for fear it's gonna go. It's actually a bastardized tranny using parts from a 7.3 model and a 6.0 model, and I don't really trust it.

#13 ·
I work on a lot of delivery trucks and they don't like to use the clutch once it's moving. They put a lot of wear on the trans and clutches. I don't know what it is what they are doing but I have to adjust their clutches some times weekly. I drive their trucks or any the very same way, I step on the clutch coming out and going in. If I can get the gear fast I just keep my foot on it until it goes in to the next gear. I shift it quick but not abusive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.