Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Change

1K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  20stroker02 
#1 ·
I am going to change my oil first time change it like a car right no different just more oil bigger filter. What do y'all think about aims oil and if i don't use aims oil which filter and oil should i use or do y'all use sorry about all the questions I just don't want to screw anything up thanks in advance

#4 ·
Yup just like a car but more oil 15 qts to be exact. Make sure its diesel rated oil

#6 ·
Rotella T is 15w40. Thats what most people run. That or 5w40 diesel rated synthetic

#8 ·
Rotella and Delo are the two big oil manufacturers for diesels. I prefer WIX filters myself, but the Ford filter is also good, stay away from Fram. Make sure you fill the oil filter 3/4 or so full before putting it on. Since you just bought the truck I would also change all the fluids, belts and hoses. If you need the how to on all these you can PM me.
Oh don't forget the blinker fluid.

NCH

#9 ·
And make sure you have a drain pan that can hold 15 qts. for all your old oil, wal mart has a drain pan, it hold 15 qts. and it contains it so you can go to the local oil recycle or wherever you dump it there and dispose of it, no mess, no hassle, its only like $7...I run Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5-40, expensive ($19/gal) but my truck likes it so far.

#10 ·
I first started off with AMSOIL and later switched. I decided to go back with AMSOIL due to the cleaner look of the oil. I liked it so much I became a dealer. Works For Me!!

#11 ·
A 5 gal bucket with a lid works great, rottela t 15w40 is by far the best, I use it in all my equipment, plus synthetics pricey. If you do go with synthetic let the old oil drain for awhile to get as much out as possible. I usually run up 15,000 miles between changes on the rottela t, never had a problem, my 95 f350 had 200,000+ without a problem

#12 ·
I run john deere 15-40 but im also a john deere parts guy but its made by shell which makes rotella t i like that oil its all good i am partial to balwin or fleetguard filters after doing filter tests they were the best and make sure you check ALL the fluids a little time now is a heck of alot better than alot of money later

#14 ·
thattta boy thats what i like to hear and i have used the john deere filters as well they are the same as the fleet guard filters i have opened them up but the fleet guard ones are cheeper cause i get them 12 at a time lol but that plus 50 is great oil my truck has told me it loved me lots of times cause of it

#15 ·
rotella 15-40 changed at about 3500 to 5000 miles. I use motorcraft or purolator plus filters, just cause that's what advance auto parts has...

#17 ·
A good tip. Get a nail and a hammer and punch a hole or 3 in the bottom of the filter before you take it off. Let it drain and then when you remove the filter you will not take a shower in hot oil. Don't ask how I know! The filters are tilted a tad so when the filter it full and you losen the seal, oil gets all over! and they are heavy! holding up a hot and oily filter is not fun! And like a few others said, fill the filter before you install it. I think it holds almost 2 qts?

I use rotella 15/40 in mine and its good stuff. I also use that oil in my cars during the summer and it REALLY cleans out the motor!

#19 ·
I use JD 15w40. Dont have any problems

Anyone use Plus 50?

Here is a email from JohnDeerePower from another forum (TractorForum.com)
Dear Randy,

Thank you for your message. We submitted your question to our corporate office and they responded with the following:

John Deere Plus-50 engine oil is tested to and meets and exceeds all the API service classification requirements. We do not pay for the privilege of putting the donut on the container.
We also test to and meet or exceed most all engine manufactures heavy duty engine requirements including, Ford for the Power stroke diesel and for Mack EON Premium Plus performance. This can be viewed on the Mack web site.

Plus-50 is a unique formulation that is blended by several different locations. One of the primary blenders is Chevron and is the blender for your area. Plus-50 engine oil is unsurpassed in heavy duty engine applications. It excels in reducing engine deposits, engine wear, dispersing soot, and resisting oxidation (which gives you long oil life due to not thickening under high heat).

Regards,
JDPOWER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.