Mileage and Driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mileage and Driving

When I first got my truck, it was getting about 14mpg around town in 70 degree weather. After all my mods and now letting it warmup for 10-15mins each morning since it averages 30degrees in the morning, Im getting about 12.6mpg. I pretty much exclusively drive in town about 7-8 miles each direction to and from work(averaging about 40-50mph w/ about 5 stoplights). Within a full tank of gas, I might really lay into it on the 6 position maybe 3 times(meaning lay into it through 3 gears) otherwise Im trying to improve my mileage(drive sanely: ) and was hoping that I would still get 14-15mpg in the cold. Is there some things I should check or is this the mileage I should expect for my driving conditions. In two weeks, Im driving 1500 miles home and would like to get the best mileage possible. I plan on driving 65-70 mph, but would like to know anything else I can do to improve my mileage. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by payne5757; 12-04-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 08:03 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Winter Fuel blend dropped my mileage from low 17's to high 15's to low 16's.

That short drive to work is killingyour mileage especially letting it idle to warm up. All these factors reduce your fuel mileage.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

So, its possible that everything is fine w/ Charlene: (? My concern is her health, I can deal w/ mileage as even w/ this mileage I only fill up every 3 weeks. Its kinda like worrying that your child has an unknown illness. Should I decrease the warmup time? I was considering just jumping in and only waiting 3-5mins but want to treat her nicely so wasnt sure if I should do that. btw thanks for the quick reply
Old 12-04-2006, 08:14 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Don't waste your time and fuel letting it idle that long to warm up. These engines produce minimal heat under no load. At idle your EGTs are less than 250* in 30* weather. Get in it, let er idle for 1-2 minutes just to get some lubrication flowing and then drive it. Don't baby it, lay your foot in it one time real good and those EGTs will get up to 900 or so thus heating the combustion chamber real good and seating the rings from the heat. You will be at full operating temp within a couple minutes rather than 15 minutes idling. Untill those rings get hot and seat, you have alot of fuel blow by.
Cold temps and winter blend fuel are going to change your milage.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

plugging it in during the night greatly reduceswarm up time in the morning. it was 4 degrees this morning in n.il and i had mine plugged in from about 7 at night till 630 the next morning and it was nice and toasty. started it up ad away i went in about 3 min or so.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

^I would love to do this, but I live in an apartment and my truck is approximately 100ft from the door. So what kinda mileage is everyone else getting w/ their driving conditions?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't know nuttin....

i get about 2 mpg less on winter blend fuel....average probably 15 mpg on a whole tank of diesel. Thats alot of country road driving with a stop sign every mile. But again, i don't let it sit for 15 minutes trying to warm it up...it won't warm up like that hardly. I get in a drive it after about a 2 m inute idle and thats just to get some oil flowing.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

K, I just filled up so Ill be testing the shorter warmup times. I would really like 14-15mpg in town. Ive also heard its good for the tranny to turn off OD w/ my type of driving. Any inputs?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I can't see any reason to worry about using OD unless your towing a large heavy load, then you should turn it off.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What Clay said, only thing I would change is don't romp on it until the temp gauge starts to increase.

Also remember allllll the other fluids that will still be COLD when your engine is warm. Do you want all that power going thru your trans, trans case, rear diff when those fluids are cold? Start the truck up, get a cup of coffee or something get in, and drive for a few minutes, but stay at or under 2,000 rpms. This should sufficently warm the engine up. Also with your chip did you get a "hi-idle" feature. If you did then flick that on and that will greatly increase your temps at idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.