Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lookin at my first diesel, couple questions?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  ras5309 
#1 ·
Hello all, not sure if this is the right category for this, if not please move accordingly :eek:

Ok, so here soon (maybe this week, maybe not) I will be purchasing my first diesel. I'm pretty good with any gas motor, but I'm gonna step into deepwater and buy one. My only experience with diesels is three 7.3 PSD's that my family had that lasted well over 300k, and then the 6.0 they have now. well, lets not go there on that one :doh: The only thing I ever did to the 7.3's was change the oil a few times and replace a belt tensioner on one, that's it.
Currently looking at a '02 Excursion Limited 4X4, 7.3 with 210,000mi on it to replace my '03 Ex 2WD with the V10 for towing duty. Went and looked at her today, started cold without a problem. took a test drive, motor seems to run great and is dead stock, tranny shifts like new and looks its never pulled anything in its life (no hitch wear or controller), no visible oil leaks anywhere (valley or pan area), turbo sounded good, oil was like new, no unusual noises.
So questions are, the only planned mods for this truck are if I get it is a 4inch exhaust for egt reduction, big tranny cooler, and maybe a OBD plug in tuner (not sure which brand yet), and a gauge pack.
Since this is an '02, I've learned from reading around here a bit this 7.3 has the weaker PMR rods in it. So main question, would this engine handle the above mods (mainly tuner) since the only thing I will be using this for is pulling my 8,000lb travel trailer around and driving in snow/intermittent daily driver? This maybe a dumb question, but like I said, I've never owned a diesel. This truck won't be rodded or be a coal roller, so I'm just wondering if it can handle it with gentle driving?

Also, any other bad/red flag things I can check on this engine? I already checked for the rusty oil pan + dipstick tube leak, turbo pedestal and rod seal leaks, HPOP leaks, excessive blow by, and I made sure to lug it in OD with converter locked to test for a failed injector. All checked out good. Other thing I know of is the '01 diode equipped 4R100 tranny, but being built 4/02 this one shouldn't have that I wouldn't think.
Only thing I can find wrong with the truck itself is a growling front hub, but that's easy enough.
If I get approved, I'll be picking this up, so any creative input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like you did your homework and checked the major points.

I never drove an excursion but my experiences with the 7.3 are that it will do all you want it to stock.

To keep egt down you would want to know what it is, so some gauges or an edge might be a good place to start. If running stock you probably dont need EGT especially running a more open exhaust, though it doesn't hurt.

Chips enhance mpg and drivability IMO. I would recommend a DP or other higher quality chip. You don't need as many tunes as they sell and by limiting tunes you can keep the cost down. They come with stock and high power as standard, I'd recommend the higher HP economy and a tow tune and you're set. The chips change how the transmission shifts and the throttle response and make a huge difference in drivability.

I would invest in some fluid changes and run it. If it isn't leaking, it starts well cold, and doesn't smoke there really isn't much that could be wrong right?

#3 ·
I agree, seems like you have covered the bases. Just a minor note, I would either flush and replace the antifreeze or test it for additive strength asap since you don't know if they kept up with the additive maintenance and it has a few miles on it. And, you may consider just opening the air box and shining a flashlight at the turbo to make sure the fins are not worn down. Living in dusty Wyoming I have seen that before if the air filter maintenance is not kept up. The fine dirt that gets by the filter will slowly wear down the turbo fins. Other than that, I doubt you will be disappointed. Enjoy.

#4 ·
Personally, I would hook up your trailer to the stock truck and run it. See what you think. With that many miles and lack of paperwork, you really don't if MX was kept up. Putting more boost to it can help you find out "weak links". I know I am the minority here, but Ford built a damn good dependable truck with the 7.3L. I routinely tow 6-7k in hill country and its like the trailer isn't even there. Stock with 203k miles and still going strong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
Mine stock was kind of a dog towing 6500 pound travel trailer through the mountains. After chip it's like night and day. Before on big mountain pass it would drop to second at 45 mph and ~3100 rpm. After chip on 65 tow setting it will hold 65 mph up same grade with same load in 3rd.

#7 ·
Don't know if you pulled the trigger on this truck yet, but I agree with Jerry. My '02 F350 7.3 was a little doggish also when towing my 9000 lb travel trailer, especially from a dead stop. Added 4" exhaust, 3.5" turbo downpipe and a Superchips OBD tuner running on "tow-safe" mode. Major difference!! 7.3's come majorly detuned from the factory to meet fed standards, etc. Another item for 7.3's is the fuel bowl drain and fuel lines above the crossmember under the engine. Fuel lines can rust and leak (ask me how I know!:mad:). Fuel bowl drain can also develop a leak, but is an easy fix. For some good tech info, go to powerstrokehelp.com. Lots of info & free vids on all powerstrokes. This guy lives inside of powerstrokes. Check out specifically 7.3 longevity series and oil changes - 7.3's are actually 16 quarts. 1 extra quart resides in the HPOP reservoir and leaves 1 dirty quart to mix in with the new fresh oil (and pumps directly to the injectors). I learned how to make the tool to extract this oil (simple) in combo with a shop vac, then refill the HPOP reservoir. Made a world of difference on starting and drivabilty since doing this procedure. I also use the Prolong oil additive he recommends on every oc (5000 miles). I am not affiliated with him in any way, just found him on Youtube and learned ALOT from his info. Next step is Rotella T6 full syn. Been using Motorcraft 15W40 and Motorcraft filters only, but been reading good things about the T6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.