Considering 02 F350 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering 02 F350 7.3

First I would like to say that this is a great forum, and have found lots of information to aid in making my decision on a new truck.

A little bit about me. I am currently driving a 97 FZJ80 Land Cruiser that his been super reliable for 120K +miles. I bought this vehicle with the thought of using it as my hunting, trialing, camping, family vehicle. Currently it is just my wife and our three labs. The 80 worked great until I added a third dog to the group. Now, I find myself strapped for space and as much as I don't want to I am thinking of trading the 80 for something larger, as I will also be running my dogs in Hunt Tests and Field Trials as well as training them. I have looked at several diffrent half ton trucks, and while they are nice I don't trust the long term relaibility of them, which has brought me to looking for a diesel truck.

I have a friend who is an auto broker who took a 02 F-350 diesel 4x4 Extended Cab lond bed with 91K on trade and can sell it to me for 18,000 and give me 10,000 on my 80. The vehicle is in great shape and looks to be taken care of (will take to a deisel shop to make sure). I am thinking that adding a topper and a lift with bigger tires would make this a pretty capable rig, and I would also be able to pull a travel trailer with ease. My question is how reliable are these down the long haul? My grandfather has a 96 with a 7.3 and has been the heck out of it and it runs like a top for a farm truck. I really don't have much experience with diesel trucks, so I will be in the dark until I get a good understanding of how they work. Do you think the above vehicle is a good deal? And what type of mileage is everyone seeing before major repairs are needed. Any info is appreicated.

Thanks in advance!

Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 06:33 PM
one day at a time

great truck

Don't be scared of her. 90k on that truck is just getting broke in. The 7.3 diesels are as reliable as anything on the road. Most guys are getting 300k plus life out of them. I have a 6.0 and it will run circles around my brother's 7.3, but for all out pulling power and lifespan his truck may very well be cruising along well after mine is dead (I hope not, but possible). As far as $18 grand goes, I'd have to look it up to be sure, but it sounds like a good price. Even the 6.0 drivers on this site hold reverence to the old 7.3. Its bullet proof... I'd have to pull the trigger on that deal if I were you, but that's just me talking. Anybody else want to chime in? Give the guy some feedback fellas!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
one day at a time

where the heck are my manners?

By the way.....

to powerstroke.org!!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

well since im a 7.3 fan, my opinion is biased, but i dont think you would regret it.
they will run a long time with the right maint. done on it.
alternators will go, batts. will die and suspension work will be done, but that motor will still be there in the end!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is what I was hoping to hear. The Cruiser that I have been driving is pretty bullet proof as long as the required maintence is done, so I am used to it. I think it is a good deal as the cruiser is really only worth about 8,900. When I booked it with edmunds it came it right around 17,800, but KBB was in the low 20's. It also comes with the superchip commander tuner and AFE air filter system. It also has 16 custom rims and new Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires, plus custom speakers and a amp and sub. I would prefer a crew, but in reality the supercab is probably more than enough. Anything that I should look for in particular? A guy who has a couple of 7.3 told me to take it to Progressive Diesel in Littleton and have them dino it and see where it is power wise. Anything else?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a pretty decent price. I gave about that much for mine a month or so ago with 66,000 miles on it, but it is an F250. You also have to take into consideration your trade. That sounds to me like a heck of a trade on an almost 10 year old vehicle w/ over a hundred thousand miles. If the truck is real clean, I'd say go for it!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:05 PM
The Fat Mod

To POWERSTROKE.ORG

Sounds like a pretty decent deal, as was said, these truck can run a long time. Here is a link about things to look for when buying a truck...

LINK
Old 12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the link. Any good book or site to learn about the general principles of a diesel engine?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:18 PM
The Fat Mod

You could prolly find something pretty quick if you google it, if you just want a quick overview.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
The Fat Mod

This is on the 6.0, it might help some, still looking for a good one for the 7.3.

LINK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.