plug in question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
plug in question

Well, I gave the truck a cold weather starting test. The past few days, the high temp has been in the single digit to low teens. overnight lows around 0. The truck sat outside in it for two days. I had to cycle the plugs 8 times before it would start. I would cycle twice, try to start and so on. When it did start, it ran fine with no wierd noise. Thinking about buying a timer and plugging it in. I do not drive the truck every day. So, would it create any problems if I buy a timer and set it to come on for 3 hours before I would start it even if I don't drive it that day? I guess in other words, plug it in a forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 07:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to STROKEN-J
I was just thinking the same thing this morning its been like -5 the pasts 4 days and it suck getting up at AM to go plug it in and go back to bed. Hopefully someone can help answer this for us.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Fishing Fanatic

If you have a timer that is set to come on and go at a specific time, I see no reason why you couldn't leave it hooked up all the time, even if you don't drive it for a day or two. I wouldn't leave power hooked up all the time. Just make sure you use a timer to turn ON and OFF at specific times.Should be just fine. Just my .02
Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlight4 View Post
I had to cycle the plugs 8 times before it would start.
What do you mean by cycle? Are you calling the "wait to start light going off" a cycle? When you turn on the key, the glow plugs stay on for 90 seconds! The wait to start light will go out after maybe 15 seconds but disreguard that. Keep waiting a full minute or minute and a half before you try to crank it and it should bust right off. That seems to be a common misconception about the glow plug operation on these trucks. That light doesn't mean its warm and it will start up. I actually dont understand the logic behind that light and how long it stayes on other than the fact that your truck is also building fuel pressure when you first turn on the key and maybe the light goes out after the fuel has reached a proper pressure.
My truck was not plugged in yesturday morning and it was 15 degrees with 30 mph northwinds, i turned the key on for a full 60 seconds and it busted right off after only cranking maybe 2 seconds.
As far as a timmer, yes, that will work fine. I do the same thing and somedays, like today it was set to turn on at 3:00 am and work was canceled due to bad road conditions so i didn't get up and leave at 6:00 am and the truck warmed up like it was suposed to then the timer turned it off at 6:30. No big deal. Now its setting out there cold and I am going to have to start it up cold if i go anywhere.

Last edited by Clay Henry; 12-01-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to STROKEN-J
Sweet. No more getting up at the buttcrack of dawn in minis temps to plug her in.

Last edited by STROKEN-J; 12-01-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Conservative and Proud

I plug mine in the night before..... it really doesn't draw that much power and well worth it!

Getting a timer this weekend which will help too!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:12 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
plug in question

When I get home from work I plug her in, I get home at 12am though. I plug her in and forget about it, no timers for me, but then again I may be called back to work for an emergency in the middle of the night. That is the main reason I don't use a timer.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the input everyone. Clay, you are correct. That is what I was calling a cycle. I waited about 30 seconds after the light went out, turned the key to off then on again. Tried to start. Truck would not start so I did it again. The third time it sounded like it wanted to start but it took one more warm up time. Saturday they are forecasting 0 for the low. I'll try turning the key on for a minute before trying to start. Let you know how it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.