HPOP OIL CHANGE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP OIL CHANGE

i decided suck out the oil out of my hpop with my friends oil changer. i got about a quart out than filled it with new oil than ran it for 5 min and than checked it again it was still dirty so i flushed it again and now its clean. does anyone do this. it seems to run a little stronger now with the fresh oil. but i did notice that when i filled it it must have drained into the pan cause now my dipstick is reading a little overfilled prob 1/2 qt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjeep View Post
i decided suck out the oil out of my hpop with my friends oil changer. i got about a quart out than filled it with new oil than ran it for 5 min and than checked it again it was still dirty so i flushed it again and now its clean. does anyone do this. it seems to run a little stronger now with the fresh oil. but i did notice that when i filled it it must have drained into the pan cause now my dipstick is reading a little overfilled prob 1/2 qt.
It does drain into the pan. There are as many on here that think it does good as doesn't. I have run one quart or so thru the plug hole just to get a little more old oil out. Check out powerstrokehelp on youtube for a complete procedure of how to get all the old oil out. Seems like a lot of trouble.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:08 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

it will all eventually get changed out. It may not get changed at the same time that you drain your pan, but since when would you go through the trouble of pushing ALL the oil out of the block when you do you other oil changes? It will eventually get cycled through and changed at some point or another. I do not see a big thing in changing the resivior oil, cause you are not getting all the oil out of the block and lines, so why worry about that little bit? Did i just repeat myself? sorry....
Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
lukecline

holy cow lol.

of course it ends up in your oil pan! once pressurized by the hpop it either exits to the pan through the injectors or through the injector pressure regulator IPR. The only time ive ever added oil to teh resevor was on a new engine to help it fire quicker.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:11 PM

7.3 Injector Tune Up

Quote:

Yes, I do every 15,000 to 20,000 miles I change the crankcase oil. I use Ams Oil with by-pass filter. The first time I did what Bill on,
YouTube - 7.3L LONGEVITY INJECTION TUNE UP 1 OF 4
will show in this 4 part video makes a whole big difference!

My truck very quiet for a 7.3 and never misses a beat. I have the original injectors still at 104,000. In Bill's video he has over 700,000 on his original injectors, due to regular maintenance. I do not use the ProLong he uses, the Ams Oil does not recommend it.

John
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah i was told that the oil that is in the hpop reservoir holds a quart and the oil rails hold an additional quart each. so all together the engine should have 18 quarts of oil. I changed it because i was also told that this oil does not circulate very well through the entire oiling system it kind of gets trapped.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 AM

Amount of Oil

Quote:
Yeah i was told that the oil that is in the hpop reservoir holds a quart and the oil rails hold an additional quart each. so all together the engine should have 18 quarts of oil. I changed it because i was also told that this oil does not circulate very well through the entire oiling system it kind of gets trapped.
Your would actually change about 15 for crankcase about two in the high pressure system. I could not quite get all of the oil out my self, but I used the method that Bill on the Powerstrokehelp.com shows. Works just great and the best thing is, you will notice like you did, how quit and smooth they operate.

The work is well worth it ....
Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

there was a big thread about this about 3-6 months ago, and for the life of me, I cant get the stupid searach function to find it. I think it was titled "top end oil"
Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
there was a big thread about this about 3-6 months ago, and for the life of me, I cant get the stupid searach function to find it. I think it was titled "top end oil"
thats why we cant find it. search only lets you search 4 letters per word or more.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Changing the oil in your HPOP is absolutely unnecessary. Every time you change your oil the majority of it gets changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.