OBDII info question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rammstein1224

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBDII info question

I'm wondering if there is a stock pid in our trucks that feeds temperature data through the OBD2 port that isn't really necessary for correct operation. If so, can that sensor then be displaced with an EGT probe as a way to get EGT info through the OBD2 port? If you could do this, you could get a $5 dollar app, a $20 wireless OBD2 dongle and read EGT's, all for $25. But I suppose you'd have to get a probe to feed into the repurposed circuit, so maybe another $20. That could pan out to full gauges, code reading, some performance testing and data logging, including EGT (although that app may call the pid "ambient temperature" but its really repurposed for EGT), for $45. Any thoughts?

Can anyone think of any other way to feed EGT data through the OBDII port?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i dont think there is any stock sensors that monitor egts.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 PM

I wonder how the computer would react if you told it the ambient temperature was 1200 degrees haha
Old 02-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I wonder how the computer would react if you told it the ambient temperature was 1200 degrees haha
It would say why the F are you driving on Mercury.

But theres no sensors anywhere in the exhaust system let alone they would melt if you put any of them in there. Theres a reason thermocouples are so expensive
Joel likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:33 AM

OP, do you have the app and the wireless OBD2 dongle on a iphone? how does the wireless system work for you? I was looking at doing that last night.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 AM

I don't have it because I need egt and the only way to do that with an app is use Kiwi2 and the $150 egt accessories. That's why I was hoping to find a way and rout egt data through the obd2 port.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 AM

To illustrate what I was hoping for better, imagine if you didn't need the intake air temp sensor for the engine to run correctly and you could pull it out of the intake, wire it to a $20 type k thermocouple and install it in the exhaust manifold. Then when you used a cheap $20 OBDII dongle and $10 DashCommand app, you could read your EGT's by using the app to view "intake temp" which would now really be EGT's. The result would be for $50 you'd have a full set of gauges with all the code reading and performance testing that the app offered.

Does anyone have a list of PIDs or sensors that are on a 7.3? I'm hoping there is one that we can do without and use to repurpose for EGT's.

Or if not repurpose an existing PID, are there any wiring/programming guru's on here who can figure a way to just add a PID? Or connect an EGT sensor to an unused PID, like if the vehicle in question didn't have all the factory options installed and you were taking that "blank" space to use for EGTs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.