Is there a better plan than this for gauges, diagnostics and tunes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there a better plan than this for gauges, diagnostics and tunes?

Starting with a stock 2000 Excursion with an AIS Intake and a 4" exhaust.

Autoenginuity Ford Bundle: $400 (do you have to have the ford bundle to do a buzz and cylinder contribution test? If not AE is only $250 and the Kiwi 2/dashcommand below can read all ford codes and data log all pids I think)

PHP Hydra Chip (17 position chip with access to 20 something tunes PHP tunes and the ability to load tunes from other tuners): $425

Kiwi2 OBDii wireless with EGT and an additional fluid temp sensor:$312
DashCommand app for iPhone: $10

Total: $1,122

And to be honest, I don't know how often I'd be running buzz and CC tests so I could probably make due without the Autoenginuity and I imagine its only a matter of time before DashCommand or similar app can do those tests. I don't really understand yet how big a difference there is in the capabilities of the $10 DashCommand app and the $400 AE (I'm just learning about this stuff now).

The same capabilities including tune changing on the fly and that many tunes, from the DP Tuner would require Infinity, hub and F5 chip and tunes at $50 a pop would be around $2k. The Edge CTS is around $900 but that only has a few tunes and doesn't have the diagnostics of the Infinity or AE.

The Edge and the iPhone can both view a wireless back up camera which is cool.

Can anyone think of an even less expensive way to get a bunch of gauges, tunes and diagnostics? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

all sounds good, but dont use the edge tunes, the cts is ok for guages though... and yes have to have ford bundle for the tests you want.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAArcher View Post

Autoenginuity Ford Bundle: $400 (do you have to have the ford bundle to do a buzz and cylinder contribution test? If not AE is only $250 and the Kiwi 2/dashcommand below can read all ford codes and data log all pids I think)

PHP Hydra Chip (17 position chip with access to 20 something tunes PHP tunes and the ability to load tunes from other tuners): $425

And to be honest, I don't know how often I'd be running buzz and CC tests so I could probably make due without the Autoenginuity and I imagine its only a matter of time before DashCommand or similar app can do those tests. I don't really understand yet how big a difference there is in the capabilities of the $10 DashCommand app and the $400 AE (I'm just learning about this stuff now).

The same capabilities including tune changing on the fly and that many tunes, from the DP Tuner would require Infinity, hub and F5 chip and tunes at $50 a pop would be around $2k. The Edge CTS is around $900 but that only has a few tunes and doesn't have the diagnostics of the Infinity or AE.

Can anyone think of an even less expensive way to get a bunch of gauges, tunes and diagnostics? Thanks
INFINITY,CEI, F5

You get the choice of the amount of tunes you want on the F5 and they are set up for the mods you have. Most go with 3-4.

If you have no desire for switch on the fly you can skip the CEI-hub.

Nowhere close to 2K.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 AM

From DP website:
Infinity, hub and F5, EGT probe and only 15 tunes (compared to PHP of 20+) = $1,770. (I didn't realize the EGT dropped from $180 to $65 if you get the hub, and you didn't have to by the $75 cable when you bought it as a package)

That's getting pretty close to $2k and about $600 more expensive than the package I outlined. And it really should include the F6 to be comparative to the Hydra, not the F5, which changes the package price to $1,969.98. I'm not saying that the DP tunes aren't worth the 5x as much as PHP tunes that you charge, I'm just trying to compare on paper, how to obtain all the features of a full blown DP set up for less, and then determine if the DP brand and any extra features that come with it are worth the added cost. Maybe it is because I don't need 15 tunes, but I would like 8 or 10 that include tunes outside your preloaded package so the infinity is still more expensive. If you guys offered like 3 free tunes with a chip and 6 free with a big Infinity/hub/F6 package purchase you'd be a lot more competitive with the other options out there.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 AM

I would go with...

Hydra chip from Alligator Diesel... $375

Power Hungry Performance Hydra Chip

The TQ app for an Android phone... $5

Bluetooth adapter... $15

And AE if you want it...

Clay at Riffraff... $360 bucks

Isspro EV-2 Pyro, Boost and Fuel pressure... $400...

Less then $1200 bucks...
Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
From DP website:
Infinity, hub and F5, EGT probe and only 15 tunes (compared to PHP of 20+) = $1,770. (I didn't realize the EGT dropped from $180 to $65 if you get the hub, and you didn't have to by the $75 cable when you bought it as a package)

That's getting pretty close to $2k and about $600 more expensive than the package I outlined. And it really should include the F6 to be comparative to the Hydra, not the F5, which changes the package price to $1,969.98. I'm not saying that the DP tunes aren't worth the 5x as much as PHP tunes that you charge, I'm just trying to compare on paper, how to obtain all the features of a full blown DP set up for less, and then determine if the DP brand and any extra features that come with it are worth the added cost. Maybe it is because I don't need 15 tunes, but I would like 8 or 10 that include tunes outside your preloaded package so the infinity is still more expensive. If you guys offered like 3 free tunes with a chip and 6 free with a big Infinity/hub/F6 package purchase you'd be a lot more competitive with the other options out there.
Yep you are looking at only one option we have. We have one for the F6 too. Only with the preloaded option do you get all 10- 12 tunes. All of the tunes are at a lesser price over buying the DX version.

INFINITY-Preloaded F6, CEI-hub

If you don't like what we offer then look into what fits your budget.

Last edited by SeeYa; 02-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
INFINITY,CEI, F5

You get the choice of the amount of tunes you want on the F5 and they are set up for the mods you have. Most go with 3-4.

If you have no desire for switch on the fly you can skip the CEI-hub.

Nowhere close to 2K.
Quote:
From DP website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
Yep you are looking at only one option we have. We have one for the F6 too. Only with the preloaded option do you get all 10- 12 tunes. All of the tunes are at a lesser price over buying the DX version.

INFINITY-Preloaded F6, CEI-hub

If you don't like what we offer then look into what fits your budget.
The guy is just looking for options, why do you have to have an attitude about it?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
I would go with...

Hydra chip from Alligator Diesel... $375

Power Hungry Performance Hydra Chip

The TQ app for an Android phone... $5

Bluetooth adapter... $15

And AE if you want it...

Clay at Riffraff... $360 bucks

Isspro EV-2 Pyro, Boost and Fuel pressure... $400...

Less then $1200 bucks...
This is what I would do in your shoes.
Only I say skip the AE for now and if you have an issue that cannot be solved without it than buy it then.

I've managed to diagnose a lot of crap on my truck without AE.
Between the gauges and google you should be fine.

But I think we covered all this in an identical thread yesterday....
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Why not just do simply gauges and a chip and be done for a while?
(I priced F6 because I want either that or a Hydra... )

Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM

Because I don't want to spend $400 in gauges and then buy an Infinity, edge or app and end up not needing them. Having a hard time swallowing that there isn't a dyi or other cheaper solution. I want to save money to spend on performance and maintenance upgrades rather than monitoring and diagnostics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.