Front end issues on my 00 Excursion *keeps me thinking...* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front end issues on my 00 Excursion *keeps me thinking...*

Ok. I've been after this truck for a while and since I bought it... it has been fun and useful... and a constant need of updating repair.

2000 Excursion PSD 4x4 Limited with 212k

Long story short... I needed brakes on the front. Between the wife telling me "next week" and allowing it... my drivers front brake started to stick and really heated up the whole area. The wheel, rotor, caliper... everything would turn cold water to steam instantly.

I bought new rotors, pads and calipers. Everything installed in about an hour.

My buddy helped me out a lot since I am still recovering from my motorcycle accident. He is pretty handy. He noticed that my drivers side hub was locked regardless of position of the rotating switch. I'm not sure this is result of the heat or not. We took the hub apart and decided that I could probably clean it up and grease it. If that didn't work I would just buy a new one.

We left the hub off the truck and I drove the truck home. 40 miles and all was well.

This morning I left for work and about 2 mins out I started to hear this noise that sounded like something was rubbing the tire. I did a visual check and nothing weird was seen. I drove some more and it was OK until I hit a small bump and the noise started again. I rolled the window down and it sounded like rubbing and metal/metal friction. I pulled over again and took a closer look and still didn't see anything. I drove the rest of the way to work (3 miles) and heard the noise again after a bump... the noise goes away when I slowed down.

After research on this site I have found this symptom is result of needle bearing or hub bearing issues. The heat was pretty intense when the brake caliper locked up and I'm thinking the grease and other contaminates melted out and really dried the bearings up, possibly warping damaging them.

I need to pull that side apart anyways and replace the ball joints with Moogs (they are still OK) and while I'm in there find the source and repair/replace what is needed.

My wallet isn't too thick and I'm really hoping I just need a cleaning and repacking... replacing the needle bearing wouldn't be bad either. A timeken hub assembly would dent the wallet for sure and I hope the stub axle isn't damaged.

What is the likely hood that I am looking at an extra $400 for this brake caliper fiasco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Shining Armor For This Useful Post:
jeffcuz351 (04-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM

Also... I am 99% sure I need coarse thread hubs. Confirm?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

put warn's or mile marker hubs on it and be done, might need to rebuild the spindal with new bearing/race's too...these trucks are heavy and not cheap
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 AM

I have manual hubs, not super worried about them. I'll buy a used one from a junk yard before spending $100+ on one.

Maybe in the future when the truck stops breaking the bank. LOL
Old 02-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A new Timken hub is $170 from Rock Auto, you will probably need it. While it is possible to replace just the needle bearing, the chances of the whole assembly going out are pretty good at this point. Not sure where you are getting the $400 from?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
A new Timken hub is $170 from Rock Auto, you will probably need it. While it is possible to replace just the needle bearing, the chances of the whole assembly going out are pretty good at this point. Not sure where you are getting the $400 from?
$200 for the Timken Hub Bearing assembly and $200 for a new stub shaft if the inner race surface is all screwed up.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unless the needle bearing has been on its way out for a loooong time, the shaft should be fine. Mine was.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Unless the needle bearing has been on its way out for a loooong time, the shaft should be fine. Mine was.
I had bunch of issues with my needle bearings on the passenger side and my shaft is fine.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Armor View Post
$200 for the Timken Hub Bearing assembly and $200 for a new stub shaft if the inner race surface is all screwed up.
Outer stub shafts only run about 75$ had to get one when my bearing killed mine
Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

I'm thinking that noise you're hearing is the rotor rubbing the caliper bracket which means you need a unit bearing. Your stub shaft will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.