05-07 conversion's on my l99,axle's,dash, ect. build thread. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
05-07 conversion's on my l99,axle's,dash, ect. build thread.

guess this project is a go so im starting a build thread..

start off with I got a 06 rolling chassis and complete dash from the junk yard for $550

I have the 6.0 tranny cooler and powersteering cooler from the 06 also.

I will also be doing more mods to the truck such as, power rear windo, up fitter switches,06 brake controller (not sure if posible), hutch and harpoon mod,sag power steering pump conversion, and im sure a few others along the way..

this will be cinda a sporadic build sense im still building my bronco and i need it done by the end of april for the bronco safari so I probaly wont start on the axles and such till after the trip.

last night I stripped the 06 chassis down and going to haul the frame off to scrap today..

pics to come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM

I want to have the truck at stock height but with a leveling kit...this chassis came with a (i think) 6'' lift but I think was lowered to a 2.5'' lift...?

I have no idea what lift it is or anything so any help would be awsome!

and where it all is now...

these axles have 3.73's right?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 AM

I'm starting on the dash swap,

Last night was testing the wires for the headlights and got it all sorted out and everyone kept telling me I couldn't wire up the newer OEM radio to the older harness..

H
After some research and testing and such I don't see why it won't.

06 4dr superduty

WIRE. COLOR. POLARITY. LOCATION
Battery green/purple. (+). radio harness
Ground black and black/lt. green (-). radio harness
Ignition pink (+). radio harness
Illumination lt. blue/red (dimmer) (+). radio harness

LF Speaker orange/lt. grn (-). radio harness
LF speaker lt. blue/wht (+) radio harness
RF Speaker white/lt. grn (-) radio harness
RF speaker dk. green/org (+). radio harness
LR Speaker gray/lt. blue (-). radio harness
LR speaker. tan/yellow (+). radio harness
RR Speaker orange/red (-) radio harness
RR speaker. brown/pink (+). radio harness

99 4dr superduty

WIRE COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Battery LIGHT GREEN/PINK (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accesory BLACK/VIOLET (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BLACK (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination LIGHT BLUE/RED (+) RADIO HARNESS

LF Speaker (+) LIGHT BLUE/WHITE
LF Speaker (-) ORANGE/LIGHT GREEN
RF Speaker (+) DARK GREEN
RF Speaker (-) WHITE/LIGHT GREEN
LR Speaker (+) TAN/YELLOW
LR Speaker (-) GRAY/LIGHT BLUE
RR Speaker (+) BROWN/PINK
RR Speaker (-) ORANGE/RED
Radio Security YES

Stay tuned for more info and pics, should be a pretty simple swap....just a lot of hidden screws lol
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sub'd
Good luck with the project
Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 AM

Okay, got the swap almost done.

Guess I had the wrong wiring diagram for the stereo so I'm still working on that..

The other problem I ran into was when I turned the key on the 4x4 was on and 4high was 4low and wouldn't go into 2wd.
The wiring is the same on the switches but the switch it's self is different, so I used the old switch witch luckily mounts up the same with the removal of a centering pin and it bolted right up and problem fixed.

The other problem I'm having is the passenger air bag switch, the new switch is into e ON position but the light says it's off.. And I don't have a key for it lol
The only problem I can see with swapping those is the off light will be covered with the old switch but looks like they mount the same...

Other the. That all is good

I'll post later sense it got dark on me.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 AM

There is a pressure switch in the seat in the passenger side and it won't turn the air bags on if it doesn't see over 50lbs. I would try sitting in the seat and see what happens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM

It's turned off now..

Also got the radio working. And got a 6 disc stereo for it also.

I'll post up pics and info wile I'm at work tomorrow but here is a teaser .

Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM

Start off with finding a good complete dash skin and take all the plugs for the headlights and radio and anything thing else you think you might need.

The parts from the new dash you will need are the fallowing..
(all the ducting behind the dash (heater assembly is the same)
(All the screws)
(Headlight switch)
(Passenger air bag)
(Radio with plug if you want to wire up the OEM one)
(The cup holder)
(Glove box door)
And anything else you can think of lol

Old,

A 9/32 wrench&socket and a flex joint will be your best friend during this swap lol

When these dash's where built they had the everything hooked up and put the hole dash and wiring harness and duckt work in at once so there are 3 screws that are a real mother to get too,
The first two hold the defrost ducting on the left and right of the dash, the other is to the left of the glove box.. I found it easier to unbolt the frame of the dash and let the steering wheel rest on the seat to get to these easier. (The dash frame is a 10mm socket and there are two on each side and one cinda in the middle.)

Once you have taken out all the screws the shell of the dash will pop off and I was able to get the old one and new one over the steering wheel without removing it..

Next up was cleaning up the new ducting and wiring stuff that was very nasty....I used a blow gun and a bunch of wet wipes..

Then start placing it all back together with the 05-07 dash..and run your Upfitter harness now if your going to run the switches.
New,

(NOTE, THE OLD DASH USED SCREWS FOR GOING INTO PLASTIC GOING AROUND THE GLOVE BOX, THE NEW DASH USES THE NORMAL SCREWS CUS IT GOES INTO A METAL CLIP)
The new passenger air bag and glove box bolt right in with no problem. But if your running the up fitter switches you might need to drill a 1/4" hole in the dash frame for the relay box.

Now your onto wiring.

The head light switch was easy, I was hoping to just re pin the plugs but the ends are a different size so just had to use connectors..
The wiring is the same and just wire it up as such,
(NOTE,)the old harness has a white wire with red stripe and two black with violet stripe wires.. The white is for the dinger for when you leave your lights on and I'm not sure about the black ones, (most likely a ground)
But there not needed for the function of the headlight switch.

The new plug is the same apart from a blue/white that is used for the auto lights (not sure how to wire that up or what's involved) and a yellow&black&brown (the yellow and black is for the fog lights witch my truck dose not have yet) not sure about the brown.

The wires not used I just shrink wrapped the ends.

The one thing I found out on the 4x4 switch was despite having the same wiring but different plugs the switch functions are also different.
I wired up the new switch and plug and found that it was stuck in 4high in 2wd and 4high was 4low and 4low was nothing.
So I wired back in the old plug and mounted the old switch on the new panel and there is a small alignment pin on the old switch you will need to cut flush but the bolt pattern is the same. Easy and done.

The radio,

The chart I posted earlier worked good but had to run a switched 12v source to the pink wire on the new plug and the radio works perfectly,6 disc CD player was installed and the 05-07 dash frame had two brackets that will sit flush against where the CD player will mount but I didn't want to mess with that so I just used big self taping screws to hold it into place cus I want a touch screen DVD player with back up camera.

If you get the dash face that has the AC controls cut out you will not need to change a thing, if you get one like mine with the controls built in you only need to rotate the motor speed plug and the vacuum line plug and they clip right in and so dose the rest.

Difference between them. (I have the wood grain style if anyone is intreated in buying it lol)

The only problem I can see with this swap is the new gauge opening is slightly smaller and barley obstructs the view of the lights on the left side of the gauge cluster.(can still see them looking straight down, just slightly in the way)

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:04 AM

Man, two comments.

Talk about snooze ville over here lol

Anyway,
So I'm thinking, these bracketst and the shock hoop stuff and sway bar links will be z1 white, thoughts?

Also got my front brake parts...but still need the rear....
Front stuff came off a 2012 with 18k miles

Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Yup the ratio is 3.73. Hats off to you for your efforts on conversion man that's alot of work for a better look and ride. Id go with a Ford Red or Blue (yes there is a Ford red) on the suspension parts but thats me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.