Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DP Tuner Infinity

10K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  351fifty 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the Infinity? I'm wondering if I want to go with an Autoenginuity, PHP chip and gauges, or an Infinity with an F5 chip or an Edge CTS. I need gauges and tuning, so if I can get that along with some diagnostics that would be great. Just trying to figure out what the best value is. I'm not sure if I will be doing enough of my own work to take advantage of all the diagnostics the infinity and AE offer. Thanks

#2 ·
if you'r looking for ae and tunes then its the best bang for the buck...
there's gonna be lots of people telling you dp's aint good just be prepared...
If I where you I'd be looking at that too (my dually dont like ts/dp tunes as its not a race truck :hehe:)

#3 ·
I wanted to get AE, but I don't have a Laptop to run it. So I got an edge insight and that has been enough to diagnose all my little propblems :)
I would probably go with a couple gauges, Torque app and Hydra if I was starting over and in your position.

#5 ·
smart phone app that uses bluetooth adpter... but all of these dont offer the same level/testing/pid's that a ae type software does, thats where the inf thing from dp is diffrent. only bad/not so good part in dp is you can only run dp tunes can't switch around to many others like tw/php/gearhead ect. but they do have some good tunes dont get me wrong...but if you want to buy/try a bunch of other tuners than a dp aint the way to go.

if I was looking to tune a play/non heavy work truck (like mine) then I'd be either looking at ae/php hydr set-up or the dp one you mentioned.

#6 ·
Is it the $5.99 app called "Engine Link - OBDII" from iTunes? What a good Bluetooth OBDII hardware to get for it? This is cool new stuff to me.

#7 ·
The infinity takes the place of gauges, AE and can be the switch on your tunes.

If you get the infinity with a F8 chip you can run ANYONE'S tunes.
The F8 is open to all tuners.

The Infinity scans for codes, slears codes, does the buzz test, cylinder contribution test. Runs all KOEO tests and all KOER tests. It's a great piece of hardware.

#9 ·
Thuglike, do you have an Infinity? How long have you had it and is there anything you don't like about it?

#12 ·
Yes!! about 3 months.

Recessed touch screen is the only thing I don't like...

But

the newer model will be a little larger and the touch screen will be flush with the outside bezel..looks cleaner and the bottom buttons are easier to "touch" the first time.

I love it

We use it to scan trucks at the shop....the Laptop stays upstairs for the most part.

#13 ·
No better combo IMHO then a Hydra chip...

Power Hungry Performance Hydra Chip

A couple Isspro gauges...

And the TQ app for your phone...

For $375 bucks on the Hydra chip you get access to all of PHP's tuning, you get a completely open sourced hardware that anyone can send you tunes for...

The TQ app will look at anything the PCM can see, will read and clear codes and run several other tests. Others are coming on every day... The TQ app costs $5 bucks, and the blue tooth adapter is less then $15.

An Isspro EV-2 EGT gauge, Fuel Pressure gauge and Boost gauge to round out the lineup.

Done and done.

By in large the BEST money you can spend.

Reactions: hansel and Joel
#14 ·
Is there anything as good as the TQ app that works with iPhone? It looks like the TQ is only for android and I have an iPhone.

#15 ·
I imagine there has to be.
I wouldn't know cause I can't get the TQ app anyways, I still have a BlackBerry :doh:

#17 ·
You can always put the phone in airplane mode if calls do interrupted.

Reactions: SeeYa
#19 ·
You shouldn't be driving and talking on the phone anyways :)

Reactions: SeeYa
#20 ·
I don't know why I'd be talkng on my phone and datalogging. :dunno:

I was asking for datalgging purposes. If you receive a call or notification does it interrupt the logging? By the op's response you need to switch to airplane mod first, which answers my question. Thanks

With 2 kids in different directions most of the week if they call me I answer my phone, no matter what. I definitely don't text and drive. That's what voice is for.

#21 ·
I'm pretty sure it still logs during phone conversation unless you use bluetooth to talk. Many people use an android tablet with the torque app and there is now an android based double din head unit that comes with the torque app on it already. There was a thread about it couple weeks ago.

#31 ·
Link please I can't find it.

#24 ·
I love my DP. The truck gets truly amazing mileage and will accelerate like a scalded cat. My only issue has been that the tuner created a lot of interference in my ham radio, but some wire braid cured that. The "drive-through" should be renamed "mosquito fogger" as it really doesnt quieten the truck, but makes it smoke like its blown a turbo oil seal. Get a EGT gauge and if you have a slushbox, get a tranny temp gauge and call it good.

#25 ·
Doesn't the infinity read trans temp standard and EGT with the addition of a probe (ridiculously expensive probe)? Why would you need a gauges? Or do you mean you have a DP chip like the F5, rather than a tuner/programmer (Infinity)?

#28 ·
INFINITY info

Read through the info we have on our site.

The EGT kit we use is already configured to work with the INFINITY. You can buy something less expensive, but it will require you configuring the formula yourself to work with the INFINITY and hoping that it works without damaging it. We've already had a customer do this. It didn't work to well.

Gauges are cheap insurance. The only thing the 7.3l can't monitor through the OBDII is EGT, fuel pressure and coolant temp. This is why we have the CEI-hub.

#29 ·
Thanks for the info seeya, does that mean if you want to monitor EGT with the infinity you have to buy probe and the hub?

#30 ·
The INFINITY has dual input ports already on it to monitor through the Infinity. If you need or want more than 2 you have to get the CEI-Hub.

We have list in a .PDF for additional probes on the CEI-hub page you can buy to plug into the CEI-Hub.

If you have any additional questions let us know. If I don't comment back quickly we are getting read to loose power here from an ice storm. Lights are already flickering.

#32 ·
He's talking about the Parrot Asteroid.... They are good in theory but a terrible head unit. Wait for other ones to come out.

Also, the infinity can do some diagnostics, but can you pick any sensor you want on the truck and datalog it? For example when I was auto and having problems I needed to check the gear commanded by PCM, input shaft speed, output shaft speed, and tq lock up. You can with AE... Can the infinity? Nobody ever mentions in depth stuff like that.

And the torque app is good, but its no substitute for AE. You are extremely limited

#40 ·
Mind if I ask why you think the Asteroid Smart is "a terrible head unit". Most of the reviews I've read have been pretty positive. It appears that you need to root it to really get the full effect, but that's a pretty easy task from what I've seen/read. Did you have the Asteroid Smart? Speaking from experience or just what you've read/seen, like me.

#33 ·
I need to get Gages ASAP I may just go with the infinity or CTS

#34 ·
I've been told to go with the Edge for guages/monitoring & DP t6 for tunes.
This route is a bit cheaper than the Infinity. The edge has backup camera possibilities, but no buzz test

I'm torn, I have Pillar gauges for boost/tranny/egt now with Crappychips programmer. I'm just going to wait and get the Infinity after some other mods.

#37 ·
For the price of three infiniy's you could have done and edge insight cs, and gauges in all three trucks, bought AE and a nice laptop to run it, and injectors for your favorite truck.

I'm glad you like it though. And I do agree that DP has great customer service

#39 ·
Oh I totally misunderstood. I thought you bought a separate infinity set up for each truck, which would be hugely expensive

#41 ·
Internet reviews are generally negative, I mean on forums where people actually use them

I've used one in a buddies truck and it was not what I expected. 100% touch screen is horrible. Try change radio stations, or the volume, or pretty much any basic task you would do with a regular head unit while on the highway in a rough riding truck with a touch screen...

Bottom line is you have to look, and concentrate on hitting the right button... That's not safe at all is it?

Also it doesn't run a stock Android ROM. Everything has to be written for it which adds major delays in updates and availability of apps.

Add to that I'm in Canada so the App availability is 10x worse, but I already decided I'm never buying one until they are improved. Android is taking over, there will be better options before long.

#42 ·
I was actually including what little bit I've found on this forum and others in my calculation of "most reviews". I can totally understand your position on the touchscreen though, even the Kenwwod unit I have in my Expedition can be a PITA to change the radio station.

What about the cheap Chinese units on Ebay? Anyone have experience with them.

#43 ·
This forum? The only review I ever saw on this forum was from a guy I know, BrodieBiking, who had one and hated it so bad he got a Clarion in a short time.

Cheap Chinese.... That answers itself...

Just hang on, they are coming.

#44 ·
Yes, this forum, but inclusive of all of it, not just the 99-03 section. To be honest, I actually haven't seen any "reviews" on this forum, but comments and such.

I figured the cheap Chinese units weren't worth looking at, but thought I'd ask if anyone was brave enough to try one. You never know...

I'm kinda an Android geek (if a 50 year old can be considered a geek). Been screwing with them since the original Droid, even built a few ROM's from source. So I would really like to get a good Android head unit. With the right setup, the possibilities are endless (well almost). It's pretty surprising to me that no major player has put out an Android unit yet. I know Clarion had a press release about one a couple of yeats back, but it appears that was vaporware

Just hang on, they are coming.
Do you know something? Care to share?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.