Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lift my 4x2, or buy a 4.4?

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  alaskan155 
#1 ·
I just started thinking about this today...I have an early 99 7.3 (mods in the sig) that is a red rear-wheel drive, and while the body is in "okay" shape (minimal rust but the bed needs replacing, the powertrain seems to be just fine. the Odo reads 206,xxx miles. Starts quickly every morning, and no codes thrown.

I have a few questions;

1. How much could I probably sell my truck for? I paid $4500 for it, because the owner likely knew that the HPOP was about to go out.

2. Should I keep my 4x2 and buy the Fabtech 6" lift kit for it? I do not pull anything; I haul in the bed multiple times a month, and that's about it.

3. Should I sell my 4x2 and buy a 4x4? I want liftability, and some decent offroadability, should the need arise.

Is a 4x4 really worth it? I'd just like to think about it before throwing money into tires and a lift. I'm thinking about doing a bedliner before selling, though.

#2 ·
There is nothing wrong with a lifted 2wd. You just have to ask yourself if not having 4x4 is too much of a deal breaker for you.
For where I live and where I take the truck hunting it's not an option to have a 2wd truck. But where you live, a decent set of tires on a 2wd may be all that's needed.

Only you can really answer that question :)

#3 ·
I was talking to a friend about it today, and he said "Imagine lifting a 2wd as trying to make a fish climb a tree...neither really make sense".

I may be moving back up to michigan within the next few years, and I am a bit tired of getting stuck in muddy parking lots!

I have thought a lot, and I'm starting to think I'd like to have the bite to backup the bark, so I will probably save my pennies and look into a 4x4 in about a year. I would personally love to have a 2005 KR f250. It's always been my dream truck. And yes...I would be prepared to face the daily frustrations that a 6.0 owner may face.

Thanks Joel! Always helpful

#6 ·
, and I am a bit tired of getting stuck in muddy parking lots!
this should have answered your own question for ya!

I have considered taking my 71 f250 and installing a divorced transfer, and a new set of axles. however it was my fathers truck, and I decided to leave it stock..ish.

#4 ·
lifting a 2wd, is kind of like buying a prius and installing NO2.
yes 4wd is worth every penny.
ive done a lot of mods on lifted 2wd trucks, and they are great, for jumping, that's about it.

#5 ·
good info! Haha, I'm easily convinced that 4x4 is the way to go

#7 ·
The 71 F250 thing reminded me of a truck I saw in Washington...a 73 F250 dually, with--get this-- a 7.3 powerstroke. I bout peed maself when I saw it.

#8 ·
im in the final stages of lifting my 63' ranchero.
71 IH chassis, with 3/4 ton running gear, 345 and a 4 speed.
sitting on 35's

#9 ·
I would like to formally request a write up of this project!

#10 ·
I bought a 63 ranchero for 500 bux, sight unseen.
got it home and saw that the floorboards and front of the uni body were rusted out beyond repair.

so, I gutted the bad metal, used a junk truck extended cab floor for the new floor in the ranchero.

I had a really beat up 71 IH travelall 4100D series. d-44's front and rear.
345 ci v-8 and a 4 speed. with a NP205 divorced transfer case.

I chopped 11" out of the frame, junked the 1/2 ton axles, and used chevy 3/4 ton d-44 front with corp. 14 in the rear.

I mounted the complete ranchero on the frame and made body mounts to bolt it, but again, I think im going to separate the bed from the cab. gonna be a lot of work

used some 4 x 4 x 3/16" steel box tubing to replace the front crossmember and to support the front leaf spring mounts.
the rest of the leafspring mounts still need to be done, however I think im going to 4 link and coil spring this project. im still in the pondering stages.

I cant seem to figure out how to insert images on the post, ill add them to my profile.

#11 ·
I'm probably going to level/lift my 2WD in the next month, redo the suspension bushings too. Should be about 3" in front and 1-2" in the back. Hoping to get close to stock 4x4 level.

I don't go off pavement in this truck on purpose, the front just sinks too fast in the South Louisiana mud (and mud = everything not paved).

Mostly just to get rid of the sagged front and overall "Paw-Paw's truck" look. The running boards are also coming off. Even my 9-year old son knows that it will make the truck look more manly.

HOWEVER, if I lived where it snowed, I would have nothing but a 4WD and I wouldn't lift a 2WD because I wouldn't have one. Buy your 4WD while you're in the South and import it to the North. Better to start with fewer salty miles...

#13 ·
Have you gone off-road with your truck before and faced situations where you wished you had 4x4?

Also I did a KBB lookup of your truck based on the most common options in a good condition it's worth about $7,900 give or take. But since you have a lot in it, take about half of the cost (part price only, no labor prices) and add it to that value. Then work out how much you wanna sell it for after that.

Then I would shop around and see if you can find a 4x4 (7.3 ofcourse ;D) within that budget of how much you would sell it for and then go from there.

#14 ·
It doesnt matter if it is 4x4 or 2x4, lifted or stock height 8,000 pounds is still stuck when its stuck. I have seen some 2x4 get through some pretty sticky situations, with the right driver a truck can go anywhere. I personaly prefer my dads 2x4 7.3 to my 4x4 up here in the snow belt of NNY but to each his own really. If you do go for a 4x4 get one with warnen locking hubs, may suck to get out of your truck to lock them but they will always work. More reliable then vaccume line 4x4.

#16 ·
Wait there is 4x2 trucks out there? Who would of thought? 4x4 is the only way some people use them all the time but for me I may go months without having to use it but when I do need it it is great to have

#18 ·
Wait there is 4x2 trucks out there?
I think 4x2 are chevy products. you know... the right front and the left rear in so called 4WD

#17 ·
I will probably never consider getting a 4x2 pickup again after owning my Ranger. It was a good truck, and if it had 4wd I probably would have kept it, but getting stuck in muddy parking lots like you said and not being able to go anywhere in the snow was the reason I stepped up to a Super Duty.

#19 ·
could always convert it to 4wd.... just a idea... then you keep a truck you know the history of and can swap to the 05+ axle in and get a better ride and turning radius than a stock 7.3l lead sprung axle(also a option)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.