Oil cooler reseal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil cooler reseal

Truck in sig, its been cold and ive noticed a few drips from the driver side of the engine. today i started it, and it leaked pretty good. Looks to be coming from the oil cooler, unless there is something above the cooler that could leak?

I found this video, how crucial is it to remove the front part of the cooler housing? Of course its cold and snowy and this'll be done outside so the easier the better

thanks
Vance

Ill also add that it leaked the most on initial start up

Last edited by Vannnce; 02-07-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Video didnt post but i know the one your talking about and yes i did mine like that since the front gasket wasnt leaking, just the o rings. The gaskets are metal so not very common for them to go bad but i would still get the rear one because they arent supposed to be reused once its cranked down. As long as your front gasket is good you should be fine

But one thing i would recommend is a coolant flush at the same time because your draining the coolant anyway.

Best procedure is to drain the oil, then drain the coolant at the radiator spout then pull out the block heater(another thing that may be replaced at the time since your in there anyway) and the rest of the coolant will drain. Be sure to have a large bucket because theres alot of coolant in these things and it likes to splash everywhere when you drain it. I got one of those big clear storage containers from wally world.

Then do the reseal using plenty of vasoline on the orings because they are a beast to press back in especially if you dont have a press. I cleaned out my oil cooler just because i felt like it i dont think its necessary though. Then fill her back up with oil and coolant and crank and let it run a bit to circulate everything then shut down and refill because it will be low because the oil cooler wont fill completely until its running. All while checking for leaks.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 AM

Just a question but when you say drain the oil, do you mean from the pan? And if so, why? I need to eventually do this also.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by belz View Post
Just a question but when you say drain the oil, do you mean from the pan? And if so, why? I need to eventually do this also.
Yes sir from the pan. Reason being is its just way cleaner than both oil AND coolant spraying everywhere when you pull the oil cooler. And of course as fate would have it i had just had a fresh oil change of rotella t6 right before mine started leaking so i drained my pan and put that pan aside and used the oil again(i know terrible me)

Either way its way cleaner to drain the oil and coolant from their proper places before removing the cooler because you will see when your under the truck trying to get that corroded bee sting out of there its awesome not having liquids coming out too. And if yours came out like mine it shot off after a bit of prying so just be careful not to drop it because those things are EXPENSIVE
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

There is no need to drain the oil. It's lower than the cooler, nothing comes out. Coolant must be drained though.

And there's no way in hell I would leave the front piece on. They are fairly soft cast aluminum and it takes a lot of force to separate the three pieces. Pulling on it as hard as you have to, with all that force on the two front bolts? You are just begging to crack that front housing. I wish I could find the thread but about a year ago somebody did exactly that.

The front bolts are so easy to get to with a 10mm r
Stubby ratcheting wrench anyway, and makes separating/pressing back together way easier

Last edited by schlutzer; 02-07-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
There is no need to drain the oil. It's lower than the cooler, nothing comes out. Coolant must be drained though.

And there's no way in hell I would leave the front piece on. They are fairly soft cast aluminum and it takes a lot of force to separate the three pieces. Pulling on it as hard as you have to, with all that force on the two front bolts? You are just begging to crack that front housing. I wish I could find the thread but about a year ago somebody did exactly that.

The front bolts are so easy to get to with a 10mm r
Stubby ratcheting wrench anyway, and makes separating/pressing back together way easier
I got a significant amount of oil out when i did it but then i had just drove it and on top of it i really didnt want to risk get any coolant into the oil passages since i was going to reuse the oil.

As for the amount of force required it wasnt much force for mine its just one of those things that just POP off rather than nicely come out because of the orings obviously. But i can see where your coming from, the front cover is very expensive but after doing it twice(still leaked the first time) i dont see any problem strain-wise as long as you get it in relatively straight with a good amount of vasoline to pop it in but everyone has their own way to do things and as long as the job gets done its works
Old 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
I got a significant amount of oil out when i did it but then i had just drove it and on top of it i really didnt want to risk get any coolant into the oil passages since i was going to reuse the oil.

As for the amount of force required it wasnt much force for mine its just one of those things that just POP off rather than nicely come out because of the orings obviously. But i can see where your coming from, the front cover is very expensive but after doing it twice(still leaked the first time) i dont see any problem strain-wise as long as you get it in relatively straight with a good amount of vasoline to pop it in but everyone has their own way to do things and as long as the job gets done its works
It's not my own way so much as it's the Ford way. I help maintain a small fleet of 7.3 trucks because my uncle refuses to get newer trucks(can't say I blame him) and I've easily done 20 oil coolers, they love to fail in our cold winters. I've had some come apart with nothing more than your hand, and others having to use a press to spread the pieces.

Also you can properly clean all pieces before reinstalling, and again sometimes they take a lot of force to press back together. Usually to press them together I'll stand it on a piece of 4x4 and my 220lbs is enough to push the pieces together, but sometimes it's not and we have to put them in a press. The amount of force they need sometimes is scary.

As for the oil, we always let the trucks sit overnight. But you should drain and refill with new oil AFTER doing the cooler as you will always get a bit of coolant in the oil even if you drain it, it dribbles out the cooler openings.

Besides. Another 10$ for the front gasket and maybe 5 minutes longer to do the cooler vs the potential to break 100$ piece?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Definitely drain oil from pan when doing the oil
Cooler.did mine about 3 weeks ago drained oil did cooler orings then just to see i pulled pan plug again and got about a quart of antifreeze,id rather spend the money on oil rather than trash more things with the risk of oil/antifreeze mix..also to make it a real cake job pull the inner fender
Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02f350inpa View Post
Definitely drain oil from pan when doing the oil
Cooler.did mine about 3 weeks ago drained oil did cooler orings then just to see i pulled pan plug again and got about a quart of antifreeze,id rather spend the money on oil rather than trash more things with the risk of oil/antifreeze mix..also to make it a real cake job pull the inner fender
Yup thats basically what I said.. Except I think it's better to leave the oil in and then drain it and whatever coolant has dribbled in after. You'll have less residue from the coolant left over.

I never pull the inner fender though. you can get the rear bolts with some extensions through the bottom of the inner fender/holes in the frame.

Front bolts like I said a 10mm stubby ratcheting wrench is your best friend
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM

awesome replies guys i appreciate it. My only fear with taking the front off, is ive heard its a real pain in the *** to get the whole thing out with it all in one piece, having to jack part of the engine up and pull a bunch of stuff out with it....

Normally its no biggy, but ill be outside in snow and sh!t and dont want to mess around more than i need if i dont HAVE to.

That being said, while pulling the front what other things will i have to deal, or will i be able to just wiggle it out?

thanks
Vance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.