Battery/Alternator/Wiring question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery/Alternator/Wiring question

Batteries are 1 year old from Ford . . . Alternator is the upgraded 3g or 6g case whatever it is with a smaller pulley and is about 3 years old. While plowing, after a couple lots the lights start dimming and all kinds of gauges coming on because of the batteries getting run down. Low RPM's combined with high amp draw from plow cause the alternator to not be able to keep up for some reason. I never had this problem before so I'm not sure what it is. i put a new plow pump motor on, cleaned connections, etc . . . still no luck.

I have a trickle charger bolted onto the one battery and a 3 prong plug sticks out front for easy charging. I thought maybe a regulator problem with the alternator . . . or I see that the big wire goes to the GPR (glow plug relay) then over to a starter solenoid and finally to the passenger side battery.

Seems like a long way to travel for charging? Should or can I run a bigger like 1/0 wire directly from alternator to the driver's side battery??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 06:57 AM

Well, I'm about to buy an alternator off ebay that says its a 250amp. I know I'm just throwing parts at it but I need the truck for plowing and can't have down time like this. I couldn't find one at any of the parts stores that was upgraded in amperage and there's no sense in going back to a stocker . . .
Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

That's actually a fairly common thing to do. You must leave the stock wire but you can add your own.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:10 AM

Could the alternator be drawing power somehow when the truck is off? I want to make sure I'm not wasting money. The batteries go dead if the truck sits for a few days so something is drawing and i've triple checked everything . . . could it be the alternator causing all of this. Not producing enough at idle or even at higher rpm and something inside it is bad causing a slow draw when truck is off?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
That's actually a fairly common thing to do. You must leave the stock wire but you can add your own.
There's not really enough room on the stud but I'll try to figure something out. Thanks for the reply . . . i really need to get this figured out ASAP.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 AM

I just bought a 250 amp alternator . . . ships in Saturday.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if the diode in the alternator goes bad it will cause a battery draw.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 AM

Well, ended up putting the new 250 amp alternator in and all I can say is wow what a difference. Not to mention my lights don't even dim when using the plow b/c I am producing 13-14volts at idle. The pulling is noticeably smaller on the new alternator. Very good quality, great packaging when shipped and insanely fast shipping. I order the thing on ebay last thursday and had it at my house on Saturday from California with free shipping. Let me see if I can find a link to one they are selling in case anyone else needs one. I am going to go to the hardware store and get some 4g cable and copper ends to run a wire to the drivers side battery still. I think that is a good idea.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 AM

High Output 250Amp Alternator Ford Ranger Explorer F Series 4 0 4 2 7 3 V8 92 04 | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.