2000 F350 GEM problems/questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F350 GEM problems/questions

The GEM has been acting up for the last few months. MY blower motor would come on with no key in ignition,battery going dead fast, interior lights staying on, etc.

This problem would come and go and wouldnt shop up sometimes for weeks.

I decided to replace my Gem. I have called many companies in cluding ford and they all say my unit has been discontinued.

My truck is 7.3,2wd,power windows,automatic and I never had a remote button so I dont know if it came from the factory with this option or not.

My questions are does anyone know where I can get one?
Or, can I use a GEM from the same year truck that has a few extra options? I think that there wouldnt be wires in plug in for these options so they wouldnt even be hooked up. I have access to a one from a 2000 F250 2wd.

The numbers on my GEM are F81B-14B205-BH

Your help will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you looked at these guys? They seem to say, with your GEM ending in BH, that they have it...

Ford GEM Modules Auto Parts Cheaper Blog
Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I called them today. They say it is discontinued. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

I did a bit of learning about the GEM when I did my power window upgrade.

You are kind of correct. You can get a GEM from another truck Late99-01 same configuration as yours. In my picture my GEM is the same as yours except its BD instead of BH, and the truck was a ext cab 4x4 6speed. Also from a 2000.

Left side is my old XL, manual everything, right being the one for the power options. The A had only a few spots for plugs, where the B has 3 plugs that go into it.

You have to remove the fuse box anyway ( like in my picture) so I would just get the whole thing from the scrap yard and go from there.

So yeah, another gem from a L99-01 *should* work just fine, with 99 you may run into the problems I did with my power window swap
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info Shultzer.

I am going to have to try a GEM from a 2000 F250 unless anyone else has suggestions.

I am unsure why someone like Auto parts cheaper wouldnt know that a GEM with more options would work fine. When I called the rep knew all of these numbers by heart. It seems they get asked for this one on a regular basis.

Another question is f this truck has remote entry is the wireless receiver in the GEM? maybe I can have wireless entry?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

It shouldn't have to be a 2000, a L99->01 should work for you just fine. 4x4 and radio is controlled by the gem to so make sure you count them in as options

And to tell if your truck has keyless entry:
Get in shut the door
Turn the key back and forth between run and off 8 times if your locks cycle you have keyless
Adding it with factory stuff if you don't isn't worth it, you have to pull the dash to do it right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.