Flat towing my 6speed. Dangers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flat towing my 6speed. Dangers?

Well, it's a 2wd manual. It's going to be about 1000 miles every other week. Do I need to worry about anything? Or should I drop driveshaft?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

1000 miles and the 5 minutes it takes to drop the driveshaft? I would definitely drop it.

The zf6 uses a pump that is driven by the input shaft, so even in neutral, it will pump, as long as the engine is running. My personal belief is this is mostly for the PTO function to prevent any heat buildup but I could be wrong.

Problem is, if I am wrong, and nobody seems to ever have a 100% sure answer, you will be spinning the output shaft, and all the gears, without proper lubrication...

Unless you idled the engine while towing that would run the pump
Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That's what I thought. Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Perhaps it's late or I'm just gonna play the dumbarse card but what are you talking about when you say drop the driveshaft and why would you do this? Just to lubricate it? And what does it have to do with the internal pump?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

He's talking about towing it with a towbar or something that keeps his rest wheels on the ground. This would spin the output shaft of the transmission. The zf6 has a pump that is driven by the input shaft as long as the motor runs.

So he wouldn't be turning the pump while towing and runs the risk of not lubricating the transmission. So removing his driveshaft is the safe route.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Chapter Director

Ahh so I played the dumbarse card I have never heard the term flat towing before(probably cause I have never done it) but I agree it makes sense since it doesn't have a t-case to put in neutral. Sure doesn't hurt and is less wear on the u joints and tranny regardless. Not too often you see the diesel truck getting towed
Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

I mean I could be completely wrong. The pump does look like its job is mostly cooling when the PTO is being used, since the return is at the front of the transmission rather than the rear like the auto. But better safe than sorry, I've looked in the past and couldn't find a definitive answer
Old 01-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Chapter Director

Honestly I don't think it would be a problem because I don't think the trams will get all that hot since there's little to no load on it on top of no 200 degree engine bolted to it but like we said sure doesn't hurt and definitely would be 1000 miles less wear on u-joints.

As for the pump I'll bet a lot of guys with 6 speeds don't even know there is one on there. I remember when I first got mine it was hard learning about mine since a zf6 goes against alot of manual trans standard characteristics(using ATF, having cooler lines, has a pto, etc)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned

The oil pump is for cooling, it will still be lubricated ok without it. Some applications of the same transmission don't use the pump. It just uses oil slingers to lubricate.

You'll be fine in neutral with the driveshaft connected.

I'm assuming that you're going to be pulling it behind a semi truck?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
The ZF S6-650 – Heavy Duty 6 speed manual transmission has an aluminium alloy main gear case and tail housing with the bell housing integral to the case. It is built in two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive versions with a diesel design only. It has an internal oil pump to circulate and cool the lubricant, which is uncommon in manual transmissions. All gears are synchronized. There is a dual cone synchronizer on 2nd and 3rd gears with an input torque rating of 520 ft-lb.
What applications are you talking about? It was only used in the Ford and Chevy trucks.. both have pumps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.