removing a 4" lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
removing a 4" lift

Guys i am looking at buying a 2002 f350 that has a 4" lift with 35's on it. It is a very nice truck, but i pull a 5th wheel camper and gotta get her down. How much is involved in going back to stock? I need to know how much i will have to invest into it to make it work. I also want to go back to stock rims/tires. I don't think my 5er will fit because its been close with my other trucks that were stock height. Let me know what you guys think. I might buy it tomorrow if i can do the swap easily enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depends on what type of lift was used. You will need to know if all springs were replaced to gain the lift, or new springs in the front/blocks in the rear, etc. Was the pitman arm replaced, new track bar, etc....? Do you know how old the lift kit is? Those are some of the things you'll need to know in order to get the right parts to go back to stock. I've seen previous lift threads where guys tow with 4" lifts regularly.... does your trailer sit lower than normal?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM

The same as putting a lift on the truck, just the opposite. Just take the lift components off (springs, trac bar, shocks, and anything else) and put the stock stuff back on.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jse51599 View Post
Depends on what type of lift was used. You will need to know if all springs were replaced to gain the lift, or new springs in the front/blocks in the rear, etc. Was the pitman arm replaced, new track bar, etc....? Do you know how old the lift kit is? Those are some of the things you'll need to know in order to get the right parts to go back to stock. I've seen previous lift threads where guys tow with 4" lifts regularly.... does your trailer sit lower than normal?
Yup without knowing all that Dan its hard to say.

Ive got a better possibly less expensive idea. Shackle flip on the trailer
Old 01-28-2014, 04:12 PM

If it would work out, I'd trade you parts, but mine is a late 99.....
Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Yeah dave, i have thought about that, but i might be hauling things around where i need a stock height truck all the time and raising my 5th wheel wouldn't solve all my issues completely. Do you guys also know if an 04 excursion has the same suspension parts or are they slightly different? I ask because my brother has an ex and wants a lift. I know the front suspensions are both leaf sprung, but not sure if the blocks and shocks would bolt up.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Not sure.....
Old 01-29-2014, 03:16 AM

Excursions have softer, lower-riding springs front and back. Rear shocks are diffrent if I recall corrrctly.

Best bet is buy new springs, as any you might trade for are likely sagged or worn out. Sell lift stuff to recoup some cash. You will likely need new u-bolts, local place here does them custom for about $70 an axle. Track bar and pitman arm should be checked. Compair what you have to a stock truck to see what's diffrent.

Trading with someone can be done but risky. Both trucks are torn apart... the time and place to have room tools and people is hard to come up with for most. If done on a week end and unknown issues arise (like broken parts/hardware) you're down and truckless till Monday when shops open.

Good luck in your quest...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 AM

Have you tried hooking to it, 4" is not that much, bet it would tow just fine...

I've towed everything under the sun with a 4" and 37's...
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM

Yea I've always heard it's harder to remove one then it is to put one on....atleast when you weren't the one that installed it, and as far as towing I would think you should be fine...I've seen more then my fair share of people towing with a 4inch lift..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.