Newb with a few questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newb with a few questions

Hey guys, Newbie here with a couple questions.

first a little background. I picked up a 2001 Excursion 2wd auto with 108,000 miles back in november. I come from the 6.5 chevy diesel world prior to picking up the powerstroke so i'm not totally clueless to diesels. I've been spending the last few months reading as much as i can on the forum about these trucks. I still have to admit that i'm not up to par on all the abbreviations everyone uses.

The excursion is bone stoke right now minus the addition of a riffraff 6637 kit that i did a few weeks ago. I've probably put a 1200 miles on it since ive had it.

I have a few questions.

1. I recently hooked up a small car trailer and used the Ex to haul a car. I instantly noticed what sounded like a boost leak as i got on the throttle getting up to highway speed. I dont hear the sound unloaded no matter how hard i get on the throttle. So i hooked up boost leak tester to the turbo intake tube and pumped it up to 20psi. i could hear air leaking out back at the firewall. took me forever to find it. When i grab the rod coming off the bottom of the turbo (ebpv???) and jiggle it i can get the leak to stop. I did some searches and see people talk about the ebpv leaking oil but dont see mention of them leaking air so i'm not sure if what i hear is normal or not. I live in minnesota and the temps have been -12 f this winter. The valve seems to be working however as the truck will high idle at 1100rpm after a few minutes. I'm not opposed to pulling the turbo and gutting the ebpv to get away from a leak since i'd like to do tunes sometime soon here and would add a high idle tune... (thats another subject however) so i'm just looking for peoples recommendations on the ebpv.

2. I have noticed that after i start up the ex no matter how long i leave it running for almost like clock work about 20 minutes into my drive i get one quick shudder/stumble right around 2000rpm. it only happens for a split second and the rpms drop about 300rpm then bounce right back. I haven't had it happen again no matter how far i've driven even a couple hundered miles. i'm not getting a cel when it happens. I'm planning on taking the ex on a 2200 mile road trip in a couple months and would prefer not to get stuck because of this problem. i'm not really sure where to start and dont want to throw a ton of parts at it trying to chase it down.

3. the mileage on this thing seems really low to me. i'm averaging 12.2-12.4 miles per gallon. I didn't figure winter blend diesel and the cold would bring it down that far but perhaps that is normal for this time of year. that average is being figured by running a full tank through filled up to about the same spot and dividing that by the miles and gallons used at the next fill up. i'm running stock height tires.

i appreciate anyones help and this board is a great source of information.

If i could make a suggestions for a sticky with abreviation definitions for the newbs. I have to google the abreviations every time i come accross ones that i haven't seen. lol

Nic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good morning guys. Any advice on any of the three questions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Nic
Old 01-28-2014, 05:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe a ebpv fix , delete , or blank pedestal. Fuel mileage and it sticking would be related. I would probably start with a fuel filter and see if your mileage comes up , cheap and easy.

In a stock 2wd your mileage should be better than that.

Your high idle will still kick in even with a deleted pedestal , or at least my last two have.

Not sure on the air escaping through the rod either , have not heard that one and thought it was all oil actuated. Sure some more knowledgable folks will follow sooner or later , otherwise , search , search , search.....
Welcome aboard !
Old 01-28-2014, 07:03 AM

You may be feeling the turbo surge your hearing with a load. I would think that you would be getting better mileage as well, I'd start looking around a multiple items. Clean your exhaust back pressure tube & check to make sure it doesn't have holes in it, check your brakes to see if they are dragging, ebpv to be sure it's not sticking. There are many others that I haven't mention because I do the remember them all. I get 15 mpg around town all day long in my Ex, 13 mpg if I'm towing my heavy *** Jeep.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Scagle1- fuel filter is on the way. Question for you. When you deleted your ebpv what did you do with the sensor?

TBJK - from reading through the forum turbo surge was also one of the things I though when I heard the noise. That or air being sacked through the new filter setup. So i looked up some YouTube videos of turbo surge and the videos turbo surge sounds more like a chatter than what I hear as a solid sound of rushing air as the load on the turbo comes up.

Ebs is also on my list of things to check.

I figured 12 mpg was low.

Thanks
Nic
Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM

You leave the sensor in place and just tape the wires up that plug into the EBPV or you can put an eliminator or resistor in it to keep from getting the soft codes.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Pulled the turbo and pedestal last night. Machined the diaphragm off the pedestal mount and welded the holes shut. It definitely seems like it wss leaking some oil. All in all it was easier getting the turbo out than I thought. Although the clamp for the from the up pipe to the turbo is a real pain to get off.

I'm thinking of replacing the compressor wheel while I have the turbo out. Is the Riffraff wheel what most people are running?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 AM

Hope you didnt weld the oil passages shut, im not sure since I have a blank pedestal but most people only cut the rod off and plug that hole as well as remove the EBPV flap. Might want to post some pics if you have them, that clamp can be a pain to get off.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Femaff - I machined the canister off the pedestal and welded the holes shut. It still flows like it did before. I figured it was a more permanent fix. I also replaced the compressor wheel with a Riffraff wheel and pulled and cleaned the ebp tube and solenoid and removed the Aifaster plugged it for a boost gauge to come a little later.

Took it for a spin earlier I have a ses light on which might be from me cycling the key to ignition switch while I had everything unhooked. I look into that. I didn't really notice much of a difference. I hear the turbo alot more now. it feels like it might spool up a little faster but I need to get gauges in this thing stat.

That hesitation/shudder I got at 2000 rpm about 20 min into my drive is still there. So there's still work to be done.

Curious can you hear your wastegate opening when your under boost? I hear what I think is my wastegate opening but I'm not sure. Putting the Riffraff 6637 on really changed the sound. Maybe I'll try and get some video of it
Old 02-01-2014, 06:01 AM

you will never hear the waste gate open on these.

the 6637 filter makes noise, thats probably what you are hearing.

i like my riffraff billet wheel, it is is also pretty noisy too.

the ses could be from overboost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.