poor start low power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
poor start low power

I have a 2001 powerstroke that will not start unless you push the throttle down. Once started it will stall if you leave the throttle up. If you push the throttle to the floor when starting it will start as soon as oil pressure builds but will only low idle for about 2 - 3 minutes and then slowly revs up then it will start to run good and runs good the rest of the day. Let it set overnight and it does the same thing again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 05:21 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
How long has it been since you changed the oil? Also, a little more info on your truck is need such as year, tranny, 2/4wd, etc.

It might be that when cold, your oil isn't getting to the injectors and therefore, no diesel getting into the engine. So, check the level of oil in the crankcase and in the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump).

I'm willing to bet you a 6-pack of beer that your oil is low.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

low power hard start cold

The truck is a 2001 F350 Automatic. 213,000 miles on it. The oil was changed in september, about 1000 miles have been put on it since change. The problem started as the temps started to get colder. I have an MT2500 scanner to check the truck. No codes, the back pressure system is working correctly, oil levels are full in both the oil pan and the resevoir. Rotella 15w-40 was put into engine. At start the oil pressure for the injectors with the throttle at the floor and the engine at only idle speed is around 1800 psi after 15 - 20 seconds you can let the throttle up and the engine will continue to idle and the oil pressure is around 1400 psi. push the throttle back down and engine will only idle at first with no change in oil pressure. When the oil pressure starts to go up the engine speed also increases until the pressure hits about 2500 psi then the engine speed increases almost normally. Let it return to idle and pressure is under 900 psi. Engine will run fine the rest of the day pulling our trailer or whatever we are doing and still gets 17 to 18 mpg highway unless pulling a trailer. I see no smoke from the exhaust at any time. when engine first starts it is a little rough but smooths out after about 15 - 20 seconds which then it will idle without touching the throttle.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:59 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I have NO idea. I had the same problem and changing/adding oil fixed it. I was having to let the truck idle for 10-20 mins before I could drive it. It would buck, shoot out white smoke and then run rough, then die. It would take forever to get started again. I changed the oil and haven't had a problem since. You MIGHT have an injector problem. MARC would be the guy to ask. He's my PSD Hero!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.