What Oil to use? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Oil to use?

Learning how to do my first oil change on my 7.3. I have heard that colder weather affects which oil you should use. I have about 3 more months of winter up here in Wisconsin. Any recommendations on the type of oil to use?

Any tips/tricks to make it go smooth?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil

I use mobil 1 0W-40 in the cold. Works great. Just use a shallow bucket that can catch at least 15L of oil. may need an oil wrench if your filter is on too tight. Or if you dont have that ram a screwdriver through it and turn it out.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I always punch a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain all the oil out of it. That sucker is heavy and messy to pull if you don't. Whatever oil you use, make sure it is rated for diesel, I think CJ-4. In the winter I switch to Rotella T6 5W-40. Wal-Mart stocks it and I think it is around $20-$22 a gallon. Just checked their website and it is $21.36 a gallon. Buy a filter and make sure whatever strap wrench you get will fit it. It is very large in diameter. I had to go to a heavy truck repair shop to find one in town to fit. That wrench will also fit the top of the stock factory fuel filter cap, if you still have one.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 AM

I use good old dino oil... 15/40... From -30 to 115 my truck runs and starts just fine...
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

If the average temp is below freezing run 10w30 diesel rated oil (rotella makes one), especially if you rely on your truck starting without being plugged in. My record is -38*C plus an ungodly windchill and it fires up.

If the average temp is above freezing go back to 15w40. With 15w40 my truck will struggle to start at anything below -15*C if it's not plugged in

If you want something more spendy use 0w40 synth
Old 01-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you guys for the input! Highly appreciated!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:51 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
Rotella T6 5W40 year round
Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM

winona78,

rotella t6 or Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck
they are both 5w-40 and both are synthetic.
They can both be easily obtained where auto supplies are sold.

If you are a member of Sams club (and I cringe as I am not a fan of those places) you can get rotella t6 in a case of 3 gallons for around $17 a gallon. Problem is you need four gallons, so you will have to get two cases.

BTW,
changing the type of oil for summer and winter is silly. If you are going to run T6 synthetic or Mobil 1 in the winter...run it in the summer as well. Synthetic really does do a good job.
Here in Pennsylvania it can get cold. For example we have a cold snap going on right now and it is getting down as low as -8 some mornings. When I ran non synthetic 15-40 in it I would have to plug it in to the wall the night before to be able to crank it easily in those extreme cold temps. Running synthetic there is no need to plug it in.
(Having said that regular 15-40 would start fine with using just the glow plug down to about 10 degrees. Even a little lower if I let the glow plugs warm for 30-45 seconds before starting to crank. But just getting in and letting the wait to start light turn off and hitting the key with standard oil would result in very slow cranks and sometimes in extreme cold you had to finesse it to get started or risk a dying battery. )
With Synthetic those problem all go away.

As far as which brand synthetic...dont even go there. Everyone has "THEIR" brand and that is fine. Nobody is wrong on that. Some people will have you believe your vehicle wont make a right hand turn if you don't run a certain brand motor oil...RIDICULOUS.

Good luck and just remember you will need 4 gallons to complete the job. (You will have a little bit left over)
Old 01-25-2014, 04:35 PM

Napa 15w-40 all the time. (Now that delo cj4 is non existant)You will Argue brands with people til you're blue in the face.

Regardless of what you use, as long as its a respectable oil, change it diligently and you are fine. Save your money with synthetic, IMHO. Same with the super expensive oils. The majority of their benefit is with extended interval changes. But oil testing is a hassle you have to wait and for the money you might as well just change it. Tho periodic testing isn't a bad idea by any means.

Google oil testing and comparisons. Read some articles and form your own opinions. The tests and reults are endless. Alot of what people will argue is based on my grandpa and my dad etc which in and of itself is not a credential for my engine. I enjoy when I'm grabbing oil and some guy offers to give me some great advice and suggest rotella and my truck will thank me. And they have absolutely no facts to back that up when we begin our discussion. Not that rotella is bad, or any better IMO

Again this is an argument no one will win if you pursue it. It's like asking who's prettier, blondes or brunettes? When clearly it's redheads!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:02 PM

I've used Delo oil for a long time, but I'm getting sick of the cold weather start issue's and having too plug it in, and my glow plugs and relay are fine. I've just ordered 4 gallons of the T6 off Amazon for $21 a gallon, so I'm due too change the oil in about 800 miles, so I will see if it's true about cold weather starting and possible increased fuel mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.