time for new battery cables, suggestions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question time for new battery cables, suggestions?

hi

after this recent cold, it seems that my truck doesn't turn over as fast as it should. although the two interstate batteries are about a year old, the truck seems to benefit greatly from having a booster applied to the system and then it spins nicely.

the truck is 14 yrs old and the cables look it. i can go oem for positive, start feed and solenoid and maybe napa or such for the negatives.

what are people using for replacement/upgrades for cabling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

If you can't make your own
Custom Battery Cables F350 cables

If you want to make your own buy SGT wire ( not welding cable like some people think, the housing is NOT suitable and the cables will fail in a short time)

I made my own with 2/0 for the crossover, 3/0 for the start, and 2/0 for the grounds, I also have some extra that I'm going to go fromt he alternator to the driver's side batter, I've been told we can't just remove the factory wire and upgrade like with other vehicles.

And Military style terminals is best. I suggest ( so does that website) you crimp, not solder, soldering isn't as good.

This was the first generation.

Then we had 4 -40*C days in a row and my Interstates both cracked... So here is the second generation.

That's a group 31 battery, 975CCA, that only costs a whopping 97$ ( for comparison in Canada interstates are about 180 a piece for the 850CCA). The batteries required some modification, but damn they were worth it.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:07 AM

It seems strange that a booster helps the system if you think your cables are the problem. Is it possible you have a corroded connection at one of the battery posts or that by chance one of your batteries has failed. Maybe if you are attaching the booster at the passenger side battery, maybe just the cable to the drivers side battery is going bad or has a bad connection. If you have a bad wire to the starter a booster shouldn't make much difference unless you are hooking it up right at the starter and I'm guessing you aren't.

I do have a good used set of factory cables I may be interested in selling if you decide you're interested, but I would be looking a lot at connections or trying to find the actual bad spot. Possibly one of the ground wires has a bad connection or failed and again you are only using one battery.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 PM

I'd suggest changing the wiring connectors at a bare minimum. Connections are cause for a lot of problems out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.