Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EBP Sensor/Tube Cleaning and MPG gains?

15K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  03ranger30 
#1 ·
I am making a list of things to check/clean/replace on my new truck to try and get the best MPGs possible. I watched a video and read a few posts on cleaning the EBP sensor/tube and read that it can improve MPG.

Has anyone calculated the gains if there was an actual increase? Feedback is appreciated and thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Little story for you;
I monitor EBP all the time. And one day it went from the normal readings of 0psi at idle to 25psi and just got worse from there as boost increased.
I happened to be about 12 hours from home at the time and was just hitting the freeway in the morning.
I got THE WORST mileage I've ever got on that trip. I didn't even calculate it because it was so bad and I already knew the issue.
I cleaned the tube AND replaced the sensor as soon as I got home and all went back to normal.
Now cleaning the tube is fine, but in my experience cleaning the sensor is a waste of time. Once it gets clogged the diaphragm inside gets buggered up and cannot be cleaned.
Unless you have a way to monitor EBP don't waste your time cleaning the sensor

Reactions: winona78
#4 ·
So cleaning the tube only regains the mpg lost from the tube being clogged?

#7 ·
last two tanks ive been getting about 12 mpgs, 2 mpg drop from before.

i just cleaned the ebpv sensor and tube.

the ebpv sensor was about clogged, and the tube was completely clogged!.

i just did a quick fix, sprayed some brake clean down the tube and forced air through it, it cleared up pretty quick.
then i just cleaned the sensor out, make sure you dont harm the diaphram when cleaning he sensor. now i should get my sudden 2 mph loss back. did i mention it was 12 mpg highway :doh:

#8 ·
Blue99,

In theory you will get that mpg back, but only if the sensor is reading correctly. Hook up an edge insight or AE and make sure it reads 0psi at idle.

#13 ·
Sounds like the TQ app might read atmospheric pressure then. If that's the case than your sensor is fine :)

#14 ·
Question - if I have ebv delete done to turbo and pedestal- will the ebv tube being dirty still effect mpg at all?

Can I simply delete the sensor and tube with freeze plugs and use the resistor in the old ebv sensor harness

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#15 ·
I know mine definitely needs cleaned. My ebpv goes crazy at idle, opening and closing rapidly. And I have been getting some awful fuel mileage lately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.