99-01 PSD Front Axle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99-01 PSD Front Axle?

So I'm not a diesel owner yet, but I'm hopefully getting close. Here is my deal, and any help on this topic will be very much appreciated.

I have narrowed down my search for a dependable, affordable, powerful, comfortable, well rounded, used diesel truck. Right now I am convinced on a 99-00 Powerstroke.

One problem that I am concerned with however is the front axle. From 99-01 the front axle is a Dana 50. I plan on running 40ís eventually and some semi-serious horsepower. I am worried about the 30 spline axles. That would definitely be a weak link in the drivetrain. I ran a search on 4wheelparts.com for whatís available and gears and an air locker is available, but what about an upgrade to 35 spline axles? I also found that the 1-tons do have a Dana 60 w/high pinion (reverse) front axles, but I imagine that is for the dually trucks?

Does anyone know how these front axles hold up with large tire diameters, say 4.56 gears, and a locker?

Does anyone make an upgrade kit for making these axles 35 spline?

I really like these trucks and think that they are worth 15-20k with 100,000 miles + on them. I just donít wanna cause problems for myself down the road if I have to invest a lot of money in the front axle.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run my truck very hard in the mud pulling sleds and goin up and down the road every day with 4.56's and a tru-trac in the front. I used to have 44's. I've never had a problem with the front axle('cept for a hub bearing goin out and that was before the gears and tru-trac and 44's). I've got videos in the video section if you wanna see how hard it gets driven.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's good to hear, but I think your truck has the Dana 60 front. Still, anything that can handle 44's without too many problems is good. Ford finaly thought it out after 01 and put 60's up there. I'll have to check out your videos. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to gwilliamson
if you check your wheel bearings and ball joints often and keep up on the maintainance than you shouldn't have an issue.... often times those things can lead to breaking axels. i would look up the ring beepbeepbeepbeepbeep(randys ring and pinion) or superior axel and get alloy shafts... than you should be in the clear
Old 11-23-2006, 02:29 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Mine is a Dana 60 on my SRW 2000 F-350. No problems in the 20,000 miles I've had it (13 months) and the truck has 193,000 miles. Truck has had 33" tire or bigger pretty much since new from what I have found out. I will be going with 35 spline and the Warn Hub kit when the $$$ starts flowing. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:19 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
99-01PSD Front Axle

Hey WantaDies, I will sell you my 2002 F-250 CrewCab, 4x4 it has the TS 6 POS chip, K&N Fiptkit intake system, fresh Rebuilt tranny warrantied for 12,000 or 1 year. I will give you a great deal on it. PM me and I will tell you the price. As for the front axle I just replaced the Ball Joints in as well no problems with the wheel bearings yet but I also have not lifted the truck any either and I am not running the big tires either.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:31 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the front axle is the much of an issue to you, simply upgrade the front axle to a Dana 60. You can buy a DynaTrac hub system that will basically eliminate your wheel bearing issue (will be on backorder for over a month) and if you can do ball joints install moogs at the first sign of wear. Other then that the spindle needle bearing is about the only other faulty thing in the dana 50. I've seen dana 44's run 40's on the road and in extreme buggies... so the Dana 50 should be pretty capable. Also, unlesss you get a dually you'll have a Sterling 10.25 rear. Just a FYI incase you wanted to look at lockers and such for that axle.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantaDies View Post
That's good to hear, but I think your truck has the Dana 60 front. Still, anything that can handle 44's without too many problems is good. Ford finaly thought it out after 01 and put 60's up there. I'll have to check out your videos. Thanks for the reply.
Nope its a Dana 50. I know cus I ordered all the wrong gears detroit and had to send it all back get the gears and tru-trac for a 50.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input. Looks like there is a kit to upgrade to better components. It is definitely better to have it built strong before you blow it up. I don't know how soon I can afford one of these beasts...just found out my girlfriend (soon 2be fiance) is pregnant! Looks like I will need 4 doors! lol.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:43 PM

I busted my 50 twice sled pulling. Outer shaft once and a locker once. The week link is the diff. The outer parts are the same between the 50 and the 60. I swapped in a 60 for the larger diff and so far no problems. Unless you bounce it it will take a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.