replacing up pipes?!?!?! 03 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
replacing up pipes?!?!?! 03 7.3

hey guys, got a buddy with an 03 7.3 with around 156k miles and up pipes are leaking at the Y collector going into the turbo. he is wanting to do wicked wheel 2 so we were thinking about tackling this ourselves. I have done WW installs so thats not to bad i dont think. I did some looking on some write ups for turbo removal and up pipe replacement and found some good info. Im pretty good with mechanics side of thing. i have all the common tools and air tools. just wondering if you guys think this is something I can handle or is it harder than what im thinking. I found this link and everything seems do-able, only issues i see is looks like some bolts may be a pain to get to?

here is the link im going off of, very detailed with pics
Welcome to Pocket's International UP-Pipe Replacement Web Page

also we were trying to decide what brand to go with and in that write up he uses IH bellowed up pipes which seem to be a good option. should we be looking for something better or is there something else that is reasonably priced but still good quality? thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 12:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just like that write up says, any shade tree mechanic can do it. I personally haven't done it, but I have read that write up many times and believe it is something that I could tackle by myself in a day.

Most people do run the IH up pipes, the cheaper ones that Dieselsite sells have hardware problems from what I have heard, but I don't have any first hand experience with it.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM

its definately doable by anyone, but devote at least 5-8 hours to do this, depending on how easy everything comes apart.

the passenger side up pipe is a pain to get tighten down to the manifold.
removing the fender liner makes it easier, or removing the downpipe.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM

What did you do when you put yours on? I feel like pulling the fender liner would be a lot easier than removing the down pipe.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:13 PM

Yeah depending on the exhaust some times it doesn't want to come back apart. That's why I love my flo pro kit with band clamps. May pull fender liner then if I have issues. So sounds like I may take this on. I'm sure if something can go wrong it will. Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-20-2014, 03:51 PM

i have a clamp on exhaust and once its clamped it doesnt want to come apart lol.

i had to pull the fender liner.

its just really tight in there.

the drivers side is easy.
although i tighten it from underneath. need a lot of extensions to reach up there

i ended up cutting the y collector off, couldnt get the bolts loose. if i would have saved a lot of time if i woulda cut them off right at the beginning.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine went in in less than 2 hours, I didn't have to pull the fender plastic or take the exhaust off. When I had the manifold ends unbolted and moved the turbo both pipes fell out the bottom. Do like the usual write ups say and half assemble them before you put it all in and it will be a snap. I was able to reach all the bolts you just have to squeeze in there. If you have help it will be much easier.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Now is everyone happy with the IH bellowed up pipes or should I be looking somewhere else?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 PM

been on for 20k miles, look brand new.

no leaks whatsoever.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Doing the up pipes is a fairly simple job as lone as the bolts come out with ease and no one has been in there before, have had some with the right threads into the turbo y-adapter but different heads on the bolt head side, I found it is best to remove the down pipe, but all the ones I have done already have a larger main pipe adapted under the passangers side of the truck -- usually 3" to 5" pipe with a slip adapter. It is still easier to remove the downpipe I think than the inner fender well, If stock exhaust then I have cut (with a sawzall )after the lower bend (about 4" back) where it goes straight back. then put back together with a 3" butt joint clamp (available at summit racing --- never found them anywhere else except a large truck parts place) Summit is cheaper (7.95 I think) -- this also gives you an adapter point for larger exhaust later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.