Opinions wanted - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions wanted

I have located a 2000 F350 SRW that has about 140K on the clock and has had quite a number of upgrade, all external, except for a trans rebuild about 10K ago. Truck looks good outside and inside.

Owner is asking $13,500. The price seems good, but I am looking for a reliable daily driver and once a month or so pull our 5th wheel without me having to worry about a breakdown. I have read up a lot and know the 2000 model is desired but do you guys think its too old? I am looking to keep this a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like a good price, pretty low miles.

just do all the maintenance and you should be good for a long time.

no its not old. easy to work on, lots of upgrade parts etc.

and the best part, no emissions equipment
Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea I like the emissions part. We do have a smog test here. I will have to give it a serious look see.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK gonna give it a look see tomorrow. It's a 100 mile drive so I wanted to be sure. Hopefully it looks as good in person, as the pics show.

Here's the comments of the seller in his listing

Price Reduced, this is a steal. MUST READ ADDITIONS: If you are looking for a 7.3L Powerstroke that has had all of the major work and upgrades taken care of, including a Transmission, this is a must see. You will be hard pressed to find a truck that is this ready for another decade+ like this one.....Standard Features include; AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, CD, Power Windows, Sliding Rear Window, Dual Power Seats, CD (Single Disc), 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, ABS, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Door Locks, Tilt Wheel, Alloy Wheels, Dual Air Bags, Power Steering, front tow hooks, front & rear receiver hitches (yes front also)...Additional Installs Totaling over 10K:........ H/D Transmission 7/2010 @ 134,852 * Transmission Cooler 11/2011 * DP-Tuner F5 16-position Chip 20-120HP and Edge Insight CTS Monitor 11/2011 * AFE Cold Air Intake 11/2011 * 4in Exhaust 7/2010 @ 134,735 * AC Compressor 7/2010 @ 134,735 * Ported TurboCharger Compressor Housing 11/2011 * 4in Lift. Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75R-16 installed @137,506 free lifetime balance, rotation, tire repair at Les Schwab * Warn Locking Hubs 11/2010 @137,612 * RMX Extreme Shocks @ 126,623 (lifetime warranty) * Front Rotors and Brakes 7/2010 @ 134,735 * Rear rotors and brakes 10/2013 @153,037 * Both batteries replaced 1/2012 36/96 warranty * 1 battery replaced under warranty 12/2013 * Trailer Brake and Tow Package

Did I miss anything that needs to be looked at? Is there something in particular I need to be aware of?

Oh yes, one more thing. It has a 4" lift which I am not too happy about. Is the 4" lift difficult to remove and put back to stock? Not interested in a high gas robbing truck, nor will it be good for aligning my 5th wheel, so I would have to remove it.

Comments appreciated.

Last edited by handirifle; 01-18-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One thing I need to correct, was working off memory on the first post, and as I re-read the truck has 154K on it, not 140. A little more but not enough to make a huge difference to me.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 PM

thats a steal.

id jump on that deal.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

If its 4x4 its a great deal if not. Its an ok deal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM

It sounds nice cosmetically; however, there are some items you are going to want to look at/test mechanically before you buy it. Understand the tranny has been rebuilt approx 20k miles ago, so you should be good there, but I would ask why the tranny failed so early...most last well over 200K. When you look at it, you will want to check for blow-by, make sure the valley is clean and more importantly DRY, crawl underneath the truck and look for rust especially on/around the oil pan. On a personal note...I would find an unbiased diesel shop that will take a look at it for you. It may cost a little to have it looked at, but could save you a bunch later down the road. Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR-P View Post
It sounds nice cosmetically; however, there are some items you are going to want to look at/test mechanically before you buy it. Understand the tranny has been rebuilt approx 20k miles ago, so you should be good there, but I would ask why the tranny failed so early...most last well over 200K. When you look at it, you will want to check for blow-by, make sure the valley is clean and more importantly DRY, crawl underneath the truck and look for rust especially on/around the oil pan. On a personal note...I would find an unbiased diesel shop that will take a look at it for you. It may cost a little to have it looked at, but could save you a bunch later down the road. Good Luck!
Ricemeister,
It is a 4x4. Thanks

MSTR-P
Am really new to diesel vehicles, so please explain the valley. Are you referring to the lifter valley? How would that indicate blow-by? Is there a PCV valve near there? And should I assume if it's wet with oil, then there is a good sized loss of compression? I know on gassers, you can tell at the oil fill cap, for blow-by. The same on diesels?

As mentioned above, it's about 100 miles from me, and I don't know any of the shops up there, and the chance of bringing it down here is probably nil. I'm very mechanically inclined, and had done a lot on engines, just not diesels. I am a research hound, and have CONSIDERABLY more diesel knowledge than I had 6 months ago.

As for rust on the oil pan or frame, I will take a look. He did mention he used to live in Utah, so it's possible. If it were only a CA truck it would be a no-brainer.

Thanks for the patience.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

If you pop the oil fill cap off after the engine has been running for a few minutes it should have a faint white haze of smoke emitting from it. The smoke should be consistent. If it chugs per say the you have a cylinder or 2 with some blowby. The valley of the engine is basically the lifter valley like you were saying. Stand up on the bumper i need be and look down inside there. If its wet with oil thats a concern. If it just has an oily/dirty residue then that's not a concern. Hope this helps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.