Quit Running - No Start - AE Codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quit Running - No Start - AE Codes

Same story on here 100's of times I am sure. There I was minding my own dang business and my stock 2000 F350 truck quit running. After an uneventful trip to the dealer and feeling like I was nothing more than an ATM, I brought it home and invested in AE. Ran the codes tonight. Yikes! I have no idea how long the codes have been in there and what is recent and what may be old.

B1318 Battery Voltage Low
B1352 Ignitions Key in circuit Fault
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor A
U2015 Signal Link Fault (Non SCP)
P1280 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
P1670 Electronic Feedback Signal Not Detected
P0381 Glow Plug/Heater Indicator Circuit
P1139 Water in Fuel Indicator Circuit

Batteries are low from cranking it while messing with it. They are a few years old so it is possible they are dropping down past the magic 10.xV that keeps it shut down.

There is oil in the ICP sensor so I will get a new one of those. I unplugged it and tried to start it. It just turns over. I would think I would hear the injectors. No smoke either.

Looking at the codes is there anything else that pops out?

Last edited by stlhdfishr; 01-15-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hold off on the ICP for now, get it running first it's not your problem and they're expensive

Get the batteries back to full charge, some of the codes might be a result of low voltage. Clear codes and rescan with proper voltage after cranking.

First, check all this;

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Do you see cranking rpm on the Tach? Do you have a spare CPS to try?

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?)

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

If that's all OK, I don't like that 1670, if it comes back read through this -> P1670 trouble code - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

The 1280 might be a result of unplugging the ICP.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it!!! I will check some things out tonight when I get home from work. My responses are below in Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Hold off on the ICP for now, get it running first it's not your problem and they're expensive

Get the batteries back to full charge, some of the codes might be a result of low voltage. Clear codes and rescan with proper voltage after cranking. Will do.

First, check all this;

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running) WTS light works. Also, all fuses are good, I checked them all.

Do you see cranking rpm on the Tach? Do you have a spare CPS to try? The needle moves up a little bit when it cranks. I will pick up a CPS and try that.

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check) Fuel pump seems OK. Fuel bowl fills up after drained. Seems to be pressure...I started opening the fuel bowl lid and had a little spray out.

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail) Yes, I had actualy bought another pump because I thought that was the issue at first. I haven't installed it so I can take it back or keep it as a spare.

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?) I think I am good. I just filled up with fuel.

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly. It seems to be normal. I think I read AE can tell me the cranking RPM's. I am just learning how to use the software.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test. No chip or program I am aware of.

If that's all OK, I don't like that 1670, if it comes back read through this -> P1670 trouble code - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

The 1280 might be a result of unplugging the ICP.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 PM

I charged the batteries and cranked it over. It was reading 9.6v. No go. Took the batteries out and had them tested. One battery was bad so I bought two new ones and installed them.

Cleared the codes and turned it over. No start so that isn't the problem.

New codes after cranking:
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor A
U2015 Signal Link Fault(Non SCP)
P1670 Electronic Feedback Signal Not Detected.

Tried to run a KOEO test. Came back with P1668 PCM/IDM Communications Error
Tried to run a buzz test. Came back with same error.

While turning over AE had the following readings. (I love the log function)
Voltage was 12.1 before cranking. Looks to be 10.4v 10.3v while cranking. 11.1V after cranking. I am kind of concerned about the <10.5v with new batteries.
ICP pressure 2300ish.
RPM 130-140.
Fuel Injector Pulse Width .38 (Added this one because I was curious.)

I am concerned about the 10.4 volts but more concerned the PCM cant communicate with the IDM.

I will be going through the P1670 Troubleshooting procedure posted above tomorrow night. this working for a living sure gets in the way of getting my rig running again. Good thing my boss is letting me borrow a car.

Last edited by stlhdfishr; 01-16-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 PM

I am going through the diag test from the link provided above (P1670 trouble code - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum) I am having some trouble.

I have disconnected the PCM harness and the IDM harness.

I am at FJ2 and I tested circuit 818 by measuring from harness to harness have .8 ohms.

I am having a difficult time understanding FJ3. it says "Measure resistance between IDM relay Circuit 818 (GY/W) and battery ground." I am pretty much lost at this point. As I understand it, Circuit 828 is a direct link between the PCM and the IDM so I am having a tough time figuring out how to measure this.

Please help.

Last edited by stlhdfishr; 01-18-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM

I think I figured it out. Needed to hook the PCM back up them test resistance on the circuit.

I get 2.225Kohms. Less than the 10,000 shown. Indicates there my be a short. Hummmm....something tells me I am way off base and doing something wrong.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM

FJ4 Testing from pin 4 IDM harness to ground with Key on /Engine Off I have 72mV.

Last edited by stlhdfishr; 01-18-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 AM

I am stumped. Other than buying another IDM I don't know what to do. Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Well, I am going to make one more post and hopefully someone will take pity on me and try to help.

So I stumbled across this website http://www.gbreman.com/ and the IDM testing procedure in the link.

I have tested each circuit as this diagram shows:

I am out of range from the values shown in test #1. Tests #2 and #3 are fine.
My values for test #1 are as follows:

23 - 22 = 7.8 Ohms
23 - 7 = 4.5 Ohms
23 - 19 =6.8 Ohms
23 - 9 = 6.8 Ohms

24 - 6 = 146k Ohms (This must be a short)
24 - 21 = 4.1 Ohms
24 - 8 = 2k Ohms (This must be a short)
24 - 20 = 62 Ohms

I can see that I need to follow back the right bank for sure. Does anyone have any thoughts on the other circuits that are out of spec based on the data shown? Heck, is the data even right?

If I do have a short, could this have ruined the IDM?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm new, so sorry for throwing out an obvious thing, but did you check the oil? Low oil can result in a no-start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.