Headlights coming on in reverse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlights coming on in reverse

Hey guys and gals, my 2002 f250 lariet has been having a weird electrical problem lately. Every time i put my truck in reverse the headlights come on along with the reverse lights no running lights tho, also when you turn on the headlights the reverse lights stay on . I have replaced the range switch and have isolated the front and rear harnesses by unplugging to see if one or the other shuts off with no luck, has anybody had the cjb cause this issue on a 2002 model yr my truck doesn't have a gem just this crazy fuse panel. Any advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

it does have a gem. But anyhow sounds like you've got a short to power somewhere
Old 01-14-2014, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From what I have read the 2002 didn't have the gem just used the gage cluster for most of the lights and 4x4 and sjb for the rest , I'm prolly wrong tho, and I've basically sea like it all goes back to the sjb but I've never had a water leak to cause a short
Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Cluster took over some of the GEM duties, but the rest are handled by the VSM (still called a GEM sometimes) and has been relocated from above the Fuses to behind the Radio (where water doesn't get to it).

I think you're right, somehow, somewhere,,, the HeadLights & ReverseLights are connected but, I've never heard of such a thing!

Before I bought a new GEM (VSM) I would go over the wiring very carefully though. There are common chafe points and always possible someone (if you're not the Original Owner) has messed with the wiring while installing something and caused this.

With the right tools you can put a "Tone" into the Reverse wiring and see if it's cross-connected somewhere with the Headlights (batteries disconnected and maybe even the VSM unplugged)
Old 01-14-2014, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok that makes sense , you said there was common rub points do you happen to know any of them ? And I didn't say this before but this happend to me almost a yr ago same thing and I unplugged the range switch and plugged it back in problem went away for about 1000 miles and then did it again so I threw a range switch in and the problem stopped for a yr and now it's back and of course it stopes doing it this morn but it will do it again I'm sure, all the wireing for the range switch looks good I had it all apart this summer when I put a Trans in it, I hate weird gremlin issues,
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm afraid I don't have a place to point you, not sure where these wires would come together (Reverse & Headlights). The drivers kick-panel and sill often have chafe & corrosion issues but, do the headlights go there? I'm not sure...

I'm also not sure what the Range Sw would do to the headlights. But, if it worked, I guess it can!

Sorry I can't be of more help on this...
Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Idk either I think it was just a fluke to be honest , but thank you for your help!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking

Well gentleman it was the was the central junction box fuse panel it didn't need reprogramming and was supposed 2. The only thing that's different is that the day time running lights are enabled which I figured out u can just unplug the resister for it which is In front of the drivers side battery in a metal cage, thank you and hopefully it may help somebody else in the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.