2000 F350 purchase questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F350 purchase questions

Hi y'all,

Ok after more than a year of searching, I may have found my first powerstroke. It is a 2000 model, 6-speed manual, dually, 186K miles. I have tried to educate myself during that time, so I had compiled a checklist of things to look for when I went to look at it yesterday. A quick rundown follows:

I didn't see any smoke out of the tailpipe on a cold start, start itself was ok, no warning lights on the dash remained illuminated, didn't see any broken bolts on the exhaust manifold, etc. The dealer lady told me that they had replaced the water pump because they found that the fan was a bit loose. I asked if it had overheated at all, but of course her answer was 'no of course not.' The test drive went ok, everything works lights, door locks and windows-wise, and the clutch isn't slipping. Brakes work ok, no pull one way or another. Seemed like I heard a slight whine from the power steering pump when I would turn the wheel from center, but that could be normal, dunno. Right rear door has a slight squeek when opening. Right rear fender has been damaged and will need replacement. Carfax was clean, no accidents reported, not salvaged title. I checked all of the lines on the doors and the bolts on the front fender under the hood, all looked ok. Did notice one oil leak underneath, appeared to be coming from the sump plug. The dealer lady didn't know a thing about SCAs, didn't know what that was, which surprised me. There didn't seem to be a lot of smoke coming from the oil filler neck after the test drive. More than after start, but nothing seemed excessive. No oil was coming up and the smoke appeared white-ish, gray. Engine never ran rough nor idled rough. Forgot to test the cruise control, but the gal said it worked. Told her I would need to test it prior to purchasing. The vacuum pump seemed to be ok because the A/C system blend doors changed directions (defrost to foot, etc) normally, ergo no long delays for that.

So, this being my first diesel of any sort (worked on gas engines as a hobby for years), I thought I would post here and see if anyone has any feedback. Particular questions I have are:

1) What was the deal with that water pump replacement? Is that common? Could it have overheated I wouldn't be able to tell?

2) Just how big of a deal is the lack of SCAs having been run in this thing? It seems to have varying importance depending on who you talk to. For me, it seems quite important, though if you get to it in time, you might be ok, but at 186K miles, that's a bit late. Or so it would seem. I had decided on which SCA system I would run, but I forget now, it's been a while. I think I have it written down somewhere. Any suggestions?

I would like to take the truck to a local diesel tech for a once-over and she didn't seem opposed to that, though she did say that her tech had looked it over and replaced the water pump, so it should be ok. But I'll insist, I just don't feel comfortable with diesels yet. Is that a good call?

Ok thanks. Happy New Year to everyone. All the best in 2014!

Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Water pump is common around that mileage. I wouldn't worry about it overheating, these things have a ridiculous cooling system on them. SCAs aren't too big of a deal. Most people never even bother with them.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks. I am heading over there tomorrow to see if we can put a deal together. Will post about how it goes.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's done. I am the new owner of a 2000 F350 XLT SD PSD, 4WD, 6 speed manual, 189K miles (I didn't quite remember the mileage correctly in my first post). The process went ok; it was the first time I have purchased from a dealer since I bought my 1992 new 24 years ago. I don't like dealing with them and have managed to avoid it since then. But this opportunity just so happened to come from a dealer, so a dealer it was.

Anyway, I took it to a diesel tech for a prepurchase inspection. First blush didn't show anything and the underside all looked good to him. Connected a scanner, ran a few tests and he reported that injectors 3 and 8 were throwing trouble codes. He said that it wouldn't be possible to determine if the problem was the injectors themselves or if it was "something electrical" (I'm guessing something with the harness?) so he wrote it up as a worst-case scenario. He also noticed that the ICP sensor was bad and he showed me how it was oil-covered; said that was normal with the 7.3 at this point in its life, but that it needed replacement soon (ASAP really). We found a couple of other minor-ish problems; the idler and tensioner pulleys will need replacement soon and the air filter housing is missing one of the tabs that enable the clips to hold the top on securely. Also the return hose from the heater core had been split and a valve (currently in the open position) put in-line. I found out that this was because the previous owner was not getting cold enough air from the A/C so he blocked off the heater. It continued to worsen, so he finally replaced the compressor and thus now the valve is no longer needed. Should I replace that hose? My initial thought was 'yes'. Finally, he mentioned something about a potential exhaust leak up on top, somewhere near the turbo and something about that it could use a gasket. Though in the writeup this repair was not listed because he didn't think it was all that important (apparently). Not sure where that could have come from (the leak), but perhaps I'll dig into it later on.

Overall he gave the truck a thumbs up, with the two big items being the injectors and the ICP sensor. He said that some of the engine harnesses have been replaced, "which is good", though he didn't explain further. This truck was manufactured in 8/99, so I think that this means that it isn't one of the "early 99s", is that correct? I don't know what the importance of those wiring harnesses were, though I'd like to research more and learn.

So there it is. Still can't believe that I own a powerstroke! Crazy good. In a way I'm glad I got a SD, but in a way I liked the OBS better. The problem that I found during the past 1 year+ of searching was/is that it was very difficult to find a 4WD OBS. Almost everyone I came across was a 2WD automatic. I had read several threads in this forum about 4WD conversions and had a game plan in my head if I found a 2WD OBS that I liked enough to justify going down that road. In the end I didn't get the OBS, but I did get the beef-ier suspension and shocks and larger brakes that come with the SD. So that was a reasonable tradeoff in my mind. What forced my hand was/is that this F350 has factory 4WD and a shifter on the floor. I didn't want the vacuum powered shift on the fly stuff. Point being that considering the rareity of that combination, well, I just couldn't pass this one up.

Pictures attached. Thanks again for the feedback. I am a proud owner and look forward to learning from you in the future.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
2000 F350 purchase questions-one.jpg   2000 F350 purchase questions-three.jpg   2000 F350 purchase questions-four.jpg   2000 F350 purchase questions-six.jpg   2000 F350 purchase questions-eight.jpg  

Last edited by av8or1; 01-13-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A few additional pictures.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
2000 F350 purchase questions-ten.jpg   2000 F350 purchase questions-eleven.jpg   2000 F350 purchase questions-twelve.jpg   2000 F350 purchase questions-thirteen.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Very nice truck! Spend the money and get the Motor Craft ICP from ford when you replace it. I went the cheep route and now my truck will run erratically or die when I key my CB radio or anyone near by (law enforcement, truckers, ect) radiate any RF.

Jon
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM

Nice rig! looks good to me. The things the mechanic mentioned are very normal and relatively cheap/easy fixes that you can do in the driveway.

I love the plastic floor mat! I want to rip my carpet out and put in the same as yours has. I still don't understand why you can't get a plastic floor in a larait/xlt from the factory.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 PM

icp is easy to change. X2 motorcraft icp.

i wouldnt worry about his scan showing the #3 and #8 injectors failing, this is because of the ford recall cps. they always fail a cct test when using a grey ford recall cps.

if you want to service the power steering/hydroboost system their is a video in the tech files section on how to do it. use a quality synthetic atf it quiets the pump down a lot

welcome!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ICP replacement is normal at this age. I just did mine + Ford harness. Its fairly easy. If you have friends in the parts dept, you can get everything for $200.

Sounds like your up pipes are leaking. Common issue.

The valve is also common. I installed one on my truck. The factory added an automatic valve later on in crew cab trucks.

I would replace the tensioner before it grenades and shreds a belt... like mine did. Again, common issue at this mileage. Happened to me.
AirborneJordan likes this.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great! Thank you for all of the good feedback, I appreciate it.

I'll need to investigate the Ford recall cps thing, this is the first I'm hearing of it, dunno what it is/involves. I do know that the Carfax stated that there is an outstanding recall item on this particular truck, though it didn't state what that was exactly. So I guess I oughta call the local dealer and see what is required. The injectors kinda concern me, but that is likely due to my inexperience. I'll see what I can find out.

So leave the inline valve in place, huh? Interesting. Ok.

I don't know anyone in a parts dept, so I'll likely have to pay full price for the ICP sensor and harness. It seems that the sensor is the bigger ticket item than the harness. I wonder how difficult it is to replace. I wouldn't think it would be too bad. I'll probably try to tackle that one myself. But I will definitely go with the Motorcraft ICP from Ford. I plan to pretty much only put OEM new parts on it because I've read too many "horror stories" about using other parts on certain items on these trucks. When I told the dealer lady about the injector issues, she hopped on Ebay and showed me that I could get new Ford 7.3 injectors for $80 a piece. I told her I didn't feel comfortable with that. She scoffed and said that this price would be all she would credit me with. "Then you can sell it to someone else" I replied, "I won't be putting any of that crap on my truck and anyone else with a brain in their head would sit here and tell you the same thing." She relented and credited me with a factory-new price. But I digress. Don't wanna think too much about the deal I got; it was ok I guess but you always walk away thinking that you paid too much. Part of it really, I think. And I didn't mind that in a way because as I mentioned the rareity of what I wanted dictated that I bite the bullet and just buy the truck that I had been waiting a considerable amount of time to find.

I'll also track down the video on the power steering pump service. It isn't loud and is not noticeable to most folk I would think, but I was intently listening to every little thing during the test drive and made a point to test the power steering system. Wish I had done more with the brakes now, for whatever reason I didn't apply brakes above 25 - 30 MPH on the test drive and now that I have done that I can feel a vibration from the right rear. So the rotor needs to be turned or replaced it seems.

And I started her up this morning to drive to work after sitting all night in 40 degree weather. I did notice white smoke from the tailpipe that I didn't see during the test drive startups. Perhaps they started it first thing in the morning then let it cool back down, dunno. It cleared up rather quickly, maybe 20 - 30 seconds. So I'm not sure what that means, if anything. Funny though, when I told the deisel tech about the absence of smoke on startup, he told me that it wasn't a big issue. That too surprised me, but I just said 'ok' and we went on with the inspection.

Also, I noticed that the spare was missing. Turns out the previous owner still has it and will return it. I'm not sure how it's secured, so I hope I have whatever is needed to do that. The spare wheel key is still in its little plastic pouch in the glove compartment, for what that's worth.

Do any of y'all have cracked windshields? There's a U-shaped crack on the passenger side of the front windshield. I think it's ok, I'm probably not gonna run out and start looking for a replacement on that, other things seem more important. I also noticed that on the passenger side of the cab, on the exterior top right-most portion that there is a plastic-ish piece of trim/weatherstripping/dunno-what-it-is. It's partially broken off, that is a piece of it is missing. Is this something that would keep out the elements? My guess is no, but I don't have a clue as to how to replace it. I've always seen rubber weatherstripping in those locations (cars). I suspect it does the same kind of thing however.

Anyway, thanks again. If it's ok, I would like to post more about the repairs and updates as time goes along. I'm sure I'll run into more questions/issues with which I could use y'alls expertise.

Thanks!

Last edited by av8or1; 01-14-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.