Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is this coolant any good????

9K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  rufushusky 
#1 ·
I just got a dieselsite coolant filter kit in the mail along with a 203 thermostat but i want to do a full coolant flush while im at it. Ive been reading a lot about it and it sounds like a elc coolant such as International's Fleetrite ELC, Shell Rotella ELC, CAT ELC, Chevron Delo ELC, Peak Final Charge, Prestone Heavy Duty ELC, Zerex Extreme Heavy Duty, etc.

There are no stores in my area that i can find that sell any of those. I can order online but looks like from what ive found you have to order in a case which is 6gal. I only need 4 correct?

So this is what i think is the closest thing in my local area, any good or just order HD ELC online??

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
its a 2001. i dont work it a ton, its mostly just my daily driver but i do pull 5th wheel stuff occasionally.

#4 ·
That is not an ELC, which I'm assuming you already know. You may check with your autoparts store, as they can likely order the product for you.

I had O'Reilly's order the Peak Final Charge Global ELC. If you have a Napa, I'm sure they can order the Zerex.

#5 ·
IMHO... Return the 203* stat...

Otherwise I run a precharged filter on my coolant filter and wal-mart prestone 50/50 coolant.

#8 ·
That is just a pre-charged coolant, so basically conventional green with SCA already in it. It was the standard of industrial engines for years prior to the introduction of OAT based ELCs and 2EHA compliant seals, sealants and gaskets.

In an 2001 either an ELC or a pre-charged coolant will work fine... the pre-charged will require a little more monitoring but will still work just fine.

#9 ·
thanks guys for the insight, i ended up having my uncle stop at a truck stop while he was out and about and he got some rotella elc for me.

so the 203 thermostat is no good? i was getting the coolant filter from diesel site and figured while i was placing the order might as well get it.

#10 ·
The 203*F t-stat is fine, just not necessary, and I have one. I'm not going to get rid of it, but I wouldn't do it again.
I WOULD get the billet t-stat housing though.

#12 ·
I too have the 203* thermostat, but I would not do it again. Not that it makes the truck run any worse, but I have a hard time believing that it makes it run more efficiently.

#11 ·
X2 on the billet t stat housing.

tractor supply has fleetrite ELC, 15 bucks a gallon when i bought it.

#13 ·
I had the 203*... And the 195* stat...

I now run a 180* stat...

#17 ·
I do have an oil temp gauge... with the 203* stat I would see peak oil temps of over 250*...

With the 195* stat I would see peak oil temps over 230*

With the 180* stat I have only seen temps over 230* once, pulling my RV over a long pass here in Oregon.

I dont have any issues with oil temps around 190-230*... 250* is too hot and takes all reserve out of the system.

#20 ·
Good and Wiki SCAs for diesels. You need to learn with a diesel.

"ELC"s are very maintenance free and last longer. Also, you do know you don't have a Ford motor, right?

#23 ·
I use wal-mart prestone 50/50 coolant... yup. Works great... Never had a coolant related failure. yup...

Oh did I mention its available everywhere... yup.

Oh and its cheap...yup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.